Reported By Mary Udezue | Edited by: Gabriel Osa
At least eight Nigerian soldiers have been killed and 23 others injured after a sustained attack by jihadist fighters linked to the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) in northeastern Nigeria, security sources have told international news agencies. The incident marks one of the deadliest recent assaults against the Nigerian military in the long‑running insurgency in the region.
According to multiple security sources cited by AFP and regional outlets, around 70 ISWAP fighters mounted a coordinated raid on a Nigerian Army base in Cross Kauwa village, Borno State earlier this week. The militants reportedly arrived on motorcycles — a common tactic that enables rapid, mobile offensives in the Lake Chad basin and surrounding rural terrain — and opened fire on soldiers stationed at the base.
Security sources say the ensuing confrontation with troops resulted in heavy casualties on the military side, with eight soldiers killed outright and 23 others wounded. Some accounts indicate that the attackers mobilised from a camp on Dabar Masara Island in the Lake Chad area before launching the assault.
Details regarding the broader conduct of the battle and whether additional military reinforcements were deployed have not been fully released by authorities. A military officer quoted in reports told AFP that the attack occurred on Monday and underscored the toll of the clash on personnel involved.
The Cross Kauwa area lies approximately 24 kilometres from Baga, a strategically significant town and fishing hub on the shores of Lake Chad. The site has been a flashpoint in Nigeria’s counter‑insurgency operations, as militant groups have used surrounding islands and forests as staging grounds in recent years.
Press organisations reporting on the incident noted that ISWAP and Boko Haram affiliates have escalated attacks on military installations and convoys across Borno in recent months, reflecting wider security challenges in the northeast despite ongoing operations by the Nigerian military and regional partners.
At this stage, there has been no formal public confirmation from the Nigerian military or Defence Headquarters regarding the casualty figures or operational details. Official statements typically follow a verification and next‑of‑kin notification process before casualty counts are released, so the figures remain based on security sources and media reporting.
The reported casualties occur amid a broader pattern of insurgent activity in Borno State, where counter‑terrorism operations have been ongoing for more than a decade. In some past engagements, militants have overrun smaller forward operating bases or ambushed convoys, leading to fluctuating casualty figures that are often difficult to verify independently.
Analysts say the attack highlights the persistent threat posed by IS‑linked groups in the region. The Nigerian military has continued a combination of ground operations and precision air support under its Operation Hadin Kai strategy, but insurgents retain the capacity to strike deep into contested territory.
At the time of writing, confirmation from official Nigerian government or military channels remains pending. Authorities are expected to provide further updates, including verified casualty figures, in due course.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments