DSS Witness Details ISWAP’s Role in Owo Church Attack as Evidence Tabled in Federal High Court

Published on 19 February 2026 at 06:17

Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Gabriel Osa

A Department of State Services (DSS) witness has provided detailed testimony in the Federal High Court in Abuja about how the June 5, 2022 massacre at St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State, was planned, funded and executed, linking the perpetrators to an IS‑affiliated terror cell. Prosecutors allege evidence from the investigation confirms involvement by a faction of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) and associated operatives. 

During proceedings before Justice Emeka Nwite, the DSS operative — identified only by security code “SSI” for protection — said call data and forensic analysis placed several defendants in the vicinity of the church at the time of the attack. The witness testified that technical evidence, including phone communication records and cell‑site location information, showed that four of the defendants were present within the telecommunications coverage area surrounding the church as the massacre unfolded.

According to the DSS testimony, all four principal accused were members of an ISWAP cell that prosecutors described as operating under the alias “Al‑Shabab,” with connections in parts of Kogi and Ondo states. The investigation reportedly traced the planning of the attack to a meeting held on May 30, 2022, at Government Secondary School, Ogaminana in Kogi State, where a leader known as “Odoba” allegedly ordered the assault to occur during Pentecost Sunday worship. Subsequent preparatory meetings were said to have taken place on June 3 and June 4, preceding the attack.

The DSS witness also outlined how defendants used two vehicles to carry out the operation: a rented car to reach the church and a hijacked vehicle taken from a worshipper to escape after the attack. In addition to firearms, the testimony said the perpetrators employed explosive devices during the assault, contributing to the mass casualties — more than 40 people killed and over 100 wounded as worshippers were shot inside and outside the sanctuary. 

Beyond location data, the witness told the court that confessional statements voluntarily made by the suspects, which had been admitted as evidence, corroborated their presence and actions on the day of the attack. Phone evidence and other forensic exhibits were tendered and admitted into the record over defence objections. 

In addition to tactical details, the DSS witness said the prosecution’s investigation found links between the suspects and financial resources allegedly used to equip and mobilise them. One defendant was said to have operated multiple point‑of‑sale outlets weeks before the attack, receiving funds that were allegedly distributed to members of the ISWAP cell without legitimate business transactions, according to the testimony. 

Prosecutors have also presented a comprehensive investigation report and autopsy evidence as part of the court proceedings. Defence counsel is expected to cross‑examine the prosecution witnesses as the case continues. 

The attack on the Catholic church in Owo remains one of Nigeria’s most devastating terror incidents in recent years. While the DSS testimony outlines a connection to an ISWAP‑linked cell and describes planning, funding and execution, these accounts reflect prosecutorial evidence presented in an ongoing trial. They have not yet been independently verified outside the courtroom or through a formal public statement by Nigeria’s Defence or security institutions at this stage. 

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.