Cross River Police Dismiss Organ Harvesting Claims After Discovery of Eight Bodies in Akamkpa

Published on 20 February 2026 at 06:13

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Gabriel Osa

The Cross River State Police Command has dismissed allegations of organ harvesting in Isong Nyang, Akamkpa Local Government Area, describing a viral video circulating on social media as misleading and unfounded.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Command clarified that there have been no confirmed or reported cases of organ harvesting in Isong Nyang or anywhere within Akamkpa LGA. The police said the clarification became necessary following widespread public concern triggered by online footage linking the discovery of human remains to suspected criminal organ trade.

According to the Command, the matter began on February 13, 2026, when officers received a report about the discovery of eight bodies inside an abandoned metal shed located near a scrap yard at Isong Nyang Junction. Responding officers secured the scene and initiated an immediate investigation.

Police confirmed the arrest of a 56-year-old suspect identified as Sunday Reuben Ben. During interrogation, the suspect allegedly admitted to previously working as a locally trained mortician at Enghaut Company in Akamkpa, where he managed the company’s morgue and handled deceased staff members.

Investigators said the suspect confessed that beyond handling officially documented company staff deaths, he had also accepted bodies belonging to relatives of staff members without formal authorization from management. Those bodies, according to police findings, were stored in the company’s mortuary facility.

Authorities explained that Enghaut Company ceased operations last year and was later sold to another entity. Following the shutdown, verified bodies of staff members were reportedly processed appropriately, with compensation paid and remains released to families for burial.

However, eight bodies — consisting of six males and two females — allegedly belonging to relatives of staff who were not formally recorded in company documentation, remained in the suspect’s custody. Police stated that the suspect claimed he was instructed to remove the unregistered bodies after the company’s closure.

Investigators believe the suspect subsequently relocated the corpses to a metal shed near the Isong Nyang community, close to Raboni Church. The structure was reportedly vandalized on February 12, 2026, by unknown individuals, exposing the decomposing remains and triggering alarm within the community.

The exposure of the bodies, coupled with graphic images shared online, fueled speculation and unverified claims of organ harvesting. The police stressed that preliminary forensic assessment and investigative findings do not support such allegations.

According to the Command, five of the bodies have since been identified by relatives and are currently being prepared for burial in accordance with family wishes. Efforts are ongoing to identify and properly account for the remaining three bodies, while further forensic and legal procedures continue.

Police authorities emphasized that there was no evidence of mutilation consistent with organ trafficking operations, reiterating that the situation stemmed from improper handling and storage of corpses rather than organized criminal harvesting activities.

The Command urged residents to remain calm and to refrain from spreading unverified information capable of inciting panic or unrest. Officials warned that circulating false or inflammatory claims could undermine ongoing investigations and disrupt public order.

Security presence in the area has reportedly been reinforced to prevent potential disturbances, while detectives continue questioning the suspect and reviewing documentation related to the former mortuary operations.

The Cross River State Police Command reaffirmed its commitment to safeguarding lives and property and assured the public that anyone found culpable of criminal negligence or unlawful handling of human remains would face appropriate legal consequences under the law.

Authorities also appealed to community leaders and social media users to exercise responsibility in sharing information, stressing that misinformation can rapidly escalate tension in sensitive situations.

As investigations proceed, the Command maintains that the matter is being handled within established legal and forensic frameworks and that updates will be communicated transparently as new facts emerge.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.