Reported By Mary Udezue | Edited by: Gabriel Osa
In the early hours of Saturday, communities in the Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State in Nigeria were subjected to a coordinated and brutal series of assaults by armed assailants, resulting in the deaths of at least 32 people, widespread destruction of property and ongoing fears among villagers who survived the violence. The attacks underscore the acute and escalating security challenges in north‑central Nigeria, where armed bandits and militant groups have intensified raids on rural communities.
According to police officials and resident accounts, the violence began in the village of Tunga‑Makeri around 3:00 a.m. local time on Saturday. Suspected bandits riding motorcycles stormed the community and opened fire on residents, killing six people, setting homes alight and forcing families to flee into bushland for safety. Houses were looted and chaos reigned as villagers sought cover in nearby forests or along isolated tracks. An unspecified number of people were also abducted during the initial phase of the assault.
After the attack on Tunga‑Makeri, the assailants advanced on the nearby villages of Konkoso and Pissa, where residents reported sustained gunfire and further deaths. In these communities, up to 26 people were killed as the gunmen continued their rampage over several hours, according to local eyewitnesses. Many of the victims were farmers and community members who were caught off guard at their homes or in farm compounds when the violence erupted. In Pissa, the attackers also razed a local police outpost, burning it to the ground, and destroyed additional residential structures, deepening the sense of vulnerability among local residents.
The scale and intensity of the assault have prompted grave concern among security analysts and humanitarian organisations. Witnesses described the gunmen as well‑armed and operating with apparent impunity, moving from village to village with little to no effective resistance from security forces during the early stages of the attacks. A local resident, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the attackers appeared to be “hundreds strong” and were able to carry out their attacks over an extended period, looting, shooting and setting fire without immediate intervention.
Police authorities in Niger State confirmed the initial attack on Tunga‑Makeri but provided limited details on the full extent of casualties and abductions. State police spokesperson Superintendent Wasiu Abiodun said the joint security teams had been deployed to the affected areas to assess the situation, locate survivors and pursue the perpetrators. However, official casualty figures remain provisional as efforts continue to verify the information emerging from the impacted villages.
The targeted communities lie within Borgu’s rural hinterland, approximately 200 kilometres from the local Nigerian Air Force base in New Bussa, the area’s administrative headquarters, complicating rapid security responses. The region, near the border with the Republic of Benin, has suffered recurring banditry and criminal raids over recent months, with villages repeatedly attacked, inhabitants abducted for ransom, and local infrastructure devastated.
Security analysts argue that the recurring violence in Borgu reflects broader systemic challenges across northern and central Nigeria. These include limited state capacity to secure vast rural territories, porous cross‑border corridors that facilitate the movement of armed groups, and long‑standing grievances related to economic marginalisation and competition over resources. While the present violence is primarily attributed to loosely organised “bandits,” many observers note overlaps with more ideologically driven militant networks that exploit insecurity and weak governance to sustain their operations.
Survivors of Saturday’s attacks reported scenes of devastation and fear as gunfire echoed through villages and neighbours sought safety wherever they could find it. Some families walked long distances on foot to reach relative safety in larger towns, while others remained in hiding in bushland, fearful of further incursions. Aid workers who have since entered the area reported a growing humanitarian need for shelter, food, clean water and medical care, as displaced residents struggle with injuries and the trauma of witnessing the killings of family members and neighbours.
The attacks have also reignited public debate in Nigeria about the effectiveness of current security strategies and the government’s capacity to protect citizens in fragile rural communities. Just days before the raid, traditional and political leaders from Borgu and neighbouring Agwara LGA had appealed to the federal government for an enhanced security presence, including the establishment of a dedicated military base to deter repeated attacks. Their appeals highlighted a pervasive fear among villagers that the existing pattern of violence would only escalate without significant intervention.
In the broader national context, Nigeria continues to contend with multiple, overlapping security crises. In the country’s northeast, longstanding insurgencies have left thousands dead and displaced many more, while central and northwestern states are increasingly beset by banditry, kidnappings and communal violence. International partners, including the United States, have voiced criticisms of the Nigerian government’s handling of these crises and are reportedly engaged in security cooperation initiatives, including targeted operations against armed groups. These partnerships, however, have produced mixed results amid fluctuating violence on the ground.
Humanitarian organisations operating in the affected areas have called for urgent and coordinated action to protect civilians, disarm violent actors and address the underlying conditions that make rural communities vulnerable to attack. These conditions include chronic poverty, limited access to basic services, and the absence of sustained economic development, which together create environments in which criminal networks can establish footholds and recruit local support.
For residents of Borgu Local Government Area, the aftermath of the weekend’s raids has been one of shock and apprehension. Many families are still accounting for missing relatives, mourning the dead, and grappling with the loss of homes and livelihoods. As authorities continue to mobilise security operations in pursuit of the attackers and to recover abductees, community leaders have emphasised the need for lasting solutions that go beyond reactive measures and address the deep‑rooted causes of insecurity in the region.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments