Anambra Police Arrest ASP Newton Isokpehi Over Viral Shooting Threat, Begin Disciplinary Proceedings

Published on 22 May 2026 at 06:15

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi, the officer captured in a viral TikTok video threatening to shoot anyone who records him while on duty and warning that he would "clear everybody down," including innocent bystanders. The arrest was announced on Thursday, May 21, 2026, just 24 hours after the explosive clip spread across social media platforms including X, Instagram, and TikTok, triggering a firestorm of public outrage and condemnation from rights activists and senior police leadership alike. In a statement signed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, the command confirmed that swift action had been taken upon review of the video. "Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved," the statement read. "The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command. In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer."

The now‑deleted video, which had been posted on Isokpehi's TikTok account "Newton isokpehi for life" (username #actor459), showed a visibly agitated officer speaking directly to the camera in Pidgin English. He dared anyone to bring a camera near his duty post, swore an oath to open fire on onlookers, and threatened to "clear everybody down, the whole bus, everybody around." In the clip, Isokpehi, who claimed to have served 26 years in the force and displayed gunshot scars on his arm, also threatened any superior officer who might have sanctioned the filming of police personnel. "That oga who gave the order that police officers should be filmed, he will do your burial. I will kill anyone who films me on duty," he declared.

The video drew immediate and widespread condemnation. Human rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu, who amplified the original clip, called it a serious danger to public safety and democratic freedoms, while social media users demanded the officer's immediate suspension and prosecution. The Nigeria Police Force's national headquarters also weighed in. Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Anthony Placid, issued a statement on Thursday describing Isokpehi's action as "unacceptable, unprofessional, and inconsistent with the ethics, standards, and code of conduct" of the force. The statement quoted Inspector‑General of Police Olatunji Rilwan Disu as consistently maintaining that members of the public have the right to lawfully record police officers carrying out their duties, provided such recording does not obstruct operations or compromise safety.

In a desperate attempt to contain the fallout, Isokpehi posted a follow‑up apology on his TikTok page on Thursday, pleading with Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu to forgive him. "Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening. These things are painful," he said. He insisted that his comments were made out of frustration and not intended as actual threats. "Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it's not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty. They have taken it too far," he added. He also displayed multiple gunshot wounds on his body, which he said were sustained during active operations. "Look at my body, these are all bullets. These are all gunshot wounds. See my chest, bullet has eaten into it. Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation," he said. "I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk. How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don't do that."

The apology, however, did little to quell the public anger. Critics pointed out that even if the threat was not intended to be carried out, the fact that a serving officer could issue such statements without immediate fear of consequences revealed a deep rot within the police force. As part of the ongoing investigation, the command disclosed that Isokpehi had been subjected to a drug test to aid in establishing all surrounding circumstances. "As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process," the police statement said.

Commissioner of Police Ikioye Orutugu strongly condemned the officer's conduct, describing it as unacceptable and inconsistent with the standards of the Nigeria Police Force. "The Commissioner of Police strongly condemns the conduct displayed by the officer in the video and reiterates that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement, or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence," the statement read. The command assured residents of Anambra State and the general public that the outcome of the disciplinary process would be made public and that any officer found guilty would face appropriate sanctions in line with police regulations.

The Isokpehi saga comes just weeks after the Inspector‑General of Police, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, declared that under his watch, "impunity will end, corruption will face zero tolerance and the Nigerian citizen will be treated as the ultimate authority in policing." The viral threats have now exposed a troubling gap between the IGP's policy pronouncements and the conduct of officers on the ground. The incident also directly flouts a landmark Federal High Court ruling issued in March 2026. Justice Hyeladzira Nganjiwa of the Federal High Court sitting in Warri, Delta State, ruled that Nigerians have the constitutional right to record police officers performing their duties in public spaces. The court held that Section 39 of the 1999 Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression, includes the right to document matters of public interest, particularly the conduct of law enforcement agents.

As the police command proceeds with its investigation and internal disciplinary process, ASP Newton Isokpehi remains in custody. His TikTok page, which earlier contained multiple videos of him in police uniform, has been emptied of the offending content, but the damage to the force's image and public trust has already been done. For the thousands of Nigerians who shared the viral video and called for action, the arrest is a step in the right direction, but many are demanding more: a transparent inquiry, a public accounting of the outcome, and a guarantee that no officer will ever again threaten citizens with death for simply exercising their constitutional rights.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.