Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
In a meticulously planned 48‑hour blitz, elite operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have dismantled a sophisticated Nigerian‑Mexican methamphetamine syndicate, arrested its kingpin, three Mexican chemical experts and six Nigerian collaborators, and seized the largest ever consignment of methamphetamine and precursor chemicals uncovered on Nigerian soil. The operation, which played out simultaneously in a remote forest laboratory in Ogun State and a luxury estate in Lagos, yielded over 2.4 tonnes of methamphetamine and chemicals valued at over $362 million on the international market—more than ₦480 billion. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu immediately hailed the achievement as “a strong message that our security agencies will not tolerate organised crime and criminality anywhere in the country”, while NDLEA Chairman Brigadier General Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.) declared that “Nigeria is now a hostile country for your criminal business”.
The extraordinary breakthrough, announced at a media briefing in Abuja on Wednesday, 20 May 2026, was the result of months of painstaking intelligence gathering by the agency’s elite Special Operations Unit (SOU). Speaking before a phalanx of journalists, Marwa explained that the operation targeted the “Anochili Innocent Drug Trafficking Organisation”, a network that had turned a remote farm inside Abidagba forest in Ijebu East Local Government Area of Ogun State into an industrial‑scale clandestine methamphetamine laboratory. “This network did not just traffic drugs; they were actively manufacturing industrial‑scale quantities of highly lethal illicit substances right on our soil, threatening the national security and public health of Nigeria,” Marwa said.
The first phase of the operation was launched on Saturday, 16 May 2026. At the forest laboratory in Ijebu, operatives overran the site, apprehending seven key members of the cartel as they processed the dangerous chemicals. Among those captured were four Nigerians—Nwankwo Sunday Christian (41), Igwe Abuchi Remijus (42), Ifeanyichukwu Chibuike Joshua (23) and Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor (38)—and three Mexican nationals who had been brought into Nigeria specifically to “cook” the lethal substance. The Mexicans were identified as Martinez Felix Nemecto (46), Jesus López Valles (40) and Torrero Juan Carlos (51).
Simultaneously, a second tactical team closed in on the cartel’s mastermind, Anochili Innocent, arresting him at his luxury residence, House 8, Tafawa Balewa Street, inside the high‑security Golf Estate in Lakowe, Lekki, Lagos. From that location, investigators recovered the passports and mobile phones of the three Mexican suspects, further cementing the transnational nature of the operation. The NDLEA also seized two vehicles used by the syndicate: a Toyota Tacoma that served as a logistics vehicle for the forest laboratory, and a Toyota Highlander found at the kingpin’s Lagos home.
Relentless follow‑up operations continued into Monday, 18 May 2026, leading NDLEA operatives to another property owned by the baron at House 70, Close 3, Mayfair Estate in Lakowe, Lekki, where more incriminating evidence was uncovered. Ultimately, a total of 10 suspects—including Anochili Innocent, the three Mexicans and six Nigerian collaborators—were taken into custody.
The scale of the seizure was staggering. Marwa told journalists that the operation had recovered 2,419.48 kilograms (over 2.4 tonnes) of methamphetamine and precursor chemicals, including highly toxic, volatile and crystallised methamphetamine. “This is worth Three Hundred and Sixty‑Two Million, Nine Hundred and Twenty‑Two Thousand Dollars ($362,922,000.00) in the international market, which translates to over Four Hundred and Eighty Billion Naira (N480,000,000,000.00),” the NDLEA chairman said. “Imagine this humongous amount in the control of criminal elements!” He noted that the laboratory had been disguised as an ordinary farm, highlighting the growing sophistication of drug cartels operating in Nigeria.
President Tinubu, in a statement issued through his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on Thursday, 21 May 2026, described the operation as “a landmark success”. The President’s personal remarks, published on the State House website, read: “This successful operation, which led to the arrest of foreign nationals, local kingpins and other collaborators, as well as the seizure of chemicals and illicit drugs valued at over $360 million, demonstrates exceptional professionalism, courage, and unwavering commitment to safeguarding society from the devastating effects of narcotics.”
Tinubu also used the occasion to issue a broader warning. “West Africa has become a great concern in the global war against narcotics as drug barons turn our region into a transit hub for moving cocaine, synthetic drugs and unregulated pharmaceuticals to Europe and North America,” he said. “Drugs not only pose a critical security threat for our region, but they also pose a grave danger to the future of our youth, some of whom have become victims of the trade.”
The President called on all Nigerians to join the fight. “I call on all Nigerians to see the fight against illicit drugs not as the NDLEA’s alone. Everyone has a role to play. We must remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities within our communities to assist security agencies in combating criminal networks,” he said. He concluded with a stern warning: “This landmark success is a strong message that our security agencies will not tolerate organised crime and criminality anywhere in the country, and that those who threaten public safety and national security will face the wrath of the law.”
Brigadier General Marwa echoed that sentiment, declaring: “Let it be known that no matter how deep into the bush you hide, no matter how secure your gated estate is, the NDLEA will hunt you down, disrupt your networks, and seize your ill‑gotten wealth.” He called on Nigerians to report suspicious activities, noting that the laboratory had been camouflaged among ordinary farms. “This war is for the soul of our nation, and we will not back down until we achieve a drug‑free Nigeria,” Marwa added.
The NDLEA chairman also disclosed that the agency is currently working with international partners to track the supply chain of the chemicals used in the laboratory and to identify any further transnational links. “This operation demonstrates that Nigeria is no longer a permissive ground for international drug cartels,” he said, referencing a recent assessment by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), which had declared that Nigeria is “no longer a permissive ground for drug cartels”.
With the cartel shattered and its illicit wealth seized, the NDLEA has once again shown that it is capable of striking at the heart of transnational organised crime. But as Marwa himself acknowledged, the fight is far from over: “We will not back down until we achieve a drug‑free Nigeria.”
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments