The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has announced that 32,539 Nigerian pilgrims have so far been transported to Saudi Arabia for the 2026 Hajj pilgrimage through 80 outbound flights conducted since the commencement of the airlift operation.
NAHCON disclosed the figures on Sunday while confirming the departure of another batch of pilgrims from Maiduguri, Borno State, to Madinah aboard an Air Peace aircraft.
According to the commission, the latest flight, Air Peace flight APK7934, departed Maiduguri International Airport at 2:21 p.m. carrying 313 intending pilgrims from Yobe State. The passengers included 209 male pilgrims and 104 female pilgrims.
NAHCON said the ongoing airlift exercise has continued steadily across different departure centres in Nigeria as authorities work to complete the transportation of pilgrims ahead of the main Hajj rites in Saudi Arabia.
The commission had earlier stated that multiple approved airlines were participating in the operation, including Air Peace, Max Air, FlyNas and Umza Aviation Services, under arrangements designed to reduce delays and improve coordination during this year’s pilgrimage exercise.
NAHCON officials said the pilgrims transported so far originated from various states across the federation, including Borno, Yobe, Kano, Kaduna, Kebbi, Sokoto, Lagos, Ogun, Nasarawa, Plateau, Bauchi and the Federal Capital Territory.
The commission is overseeing the movement of more than 65,000 Nigerian pilgrims expected to participate in the 2026 Hajj, making Nigeria one of the countries with the largest number of pilgrims attending the annual Islamic pilgrimage.
Saudi Arabian authorities had earlier allocated pilgrimage slots to participating countries as preparations intensified for the annual gathering in Makkah and Madinah. Nigerian pilgrims are expected to perform the major Hajj rites beginning in early June, including Tawaf, Sa’i, standing at Arafat, Muzdalifah rites and symbolic stoning at Mina.
The ongoing transportation exercise comes amid heightened coordination between Nigerian authorities and Saudi officials on accommodation, feeding, healthcare, transportation and security arrangements for pilgrims. NAHCON has repeatedly stated that measures were introduced this year to improve welfare services and avoid logistical challenges experienced during some previous Hajj operations.
Officials also said medical teams, clerics and welfare officers had been deployed to support Nigerian pilgrims already in Saudi Arabia.
The latest update from NAHCON came shortly after reports emerged of the death of Alhaji Shehu Yahaya Jalam, a senior Bauchi State government official and member of the state Hajj delegation, who died in Makkah after a brief illness during the pilgrimage exercise. Nigerian authorities said arrangements were being made in accordance with Islamic burial rites in Saudi Arabia.
Meanwhile, officials overseeing the airlift operation have continued urging intending pilgrims to comply with Saudi regulations, maintain discipline and cooperate with officials throughout the pilgrimage period.
NAHCON Chairman Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman had earlier assured that the commission remained committed to ensuring a smooth and successful Hajj exercise for all Nigerian pilgrims through coordinated planning with airlines, state pilgrims welfare boards and Saudi authorities.
As of Sunday evening, outbound flights from Nigeria to Saudi Arabia were continuing from designated Hajj departure centres nationwide as the commission moved closer to completing the first phase of the pilgrimage operation.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments