Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State (SSG), Labaran Shuaibu Magaji, has broken his silence on the decision to withdraw from the Nasarawa West Senatorial race ahead of the 2027 elections, insisting that the move was taken voluntarily to ensure the stability of Governor Abdullahi Sule’s administration and the unity of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state. Speaking in an interview with The Sun on Sunday, May 17, 2026, Magaji clarified that Governor Sule never directed him to step down, contrary to widespread speculation in political circles. He said the decision was independent and rooted in a deep sense of political loyalty, collective interest, and the need for continuity in governance.
Magaji disclosed that the events leading to his withdrawal began when Dr. Faisal and members of his gubernatorial campaign team visited Governor Sule to formally inform him of Faisal’s decision to abandon the governorship contest. During that meeting, Faisal also indicated his intention to seek support for the Nasarawa West Senate seat instead. Governor Sule, according to Magaji, responded by saying he would need time to speak with aspirants who had already shown interest in the senatorial position. Magaji was one of those aspirants. However, before the governor could reach out to him, Magaji said he made a personal choice.
“I said to myself, God forbid the day Engr. Abdullahi Sule will beg me for what I am capable of doing to make him happy,” Magaji told The Sun. He explained that he did not wait for the governor to appeal to him or apply any pressure. Instead, he independently decided to withdraw his ambition and remain in his current position as SSG. Magaji emphasized that political loyalty, stability, and the continuity of governance were the primary factors that informed his decision. “Moreover, as he is going for election and his deputy is also going for election, courtesy demands that, in the interest of the state, I should remain behind and support His Excellency in delivering the mandates of the people of Nasarawa State,” he added.
Magaji’s withdrawal is significant because he was one of the prominent contenders for the Nasarawa West Senatorial District, a seat that became vacant following the decision of some political figures to realign ahead of the 2027 elections. His decision to step down clears the path for the emergence of a consensus candidate in the district, reducing the likelihood of a divisive primary. Political observers have noted that Magaji’s move reflects a broader trend in Nasarawa State where key political actors are subordinating personal ambitions to the goal of retaining Governor Sule in office and maintaining APC dominance.
Magaji, who has served as SSG since Governor Sule assumed office in 2019, is widely regarded as a trusted ally of the governor. His decision to remain in the administration rather than pursue a senatorial career is seen as a strategic choice to help consolidate the party’s structure and ensure that the governor’s re‑election campaign receives full bureaucratic support. The SSG’s office is critical to the coordination of government activities, and Magaji’s continued presence is expected to provide stability during the election season.
The interview has drawn mixed reactions from political stakeholders. Some have praised Magaji for his selflessness and commitment to party unity, while others have expressed disappointment that a credible aspirant was not allowed to test his popularity at the polls. However, Magaji remained unmoved. He reiterated that collective interest must always take precedence over personal ambition and that his decision was necessary to avoid internal crisis and distractions within the APC.
With Magaji out of the race, attention now shifts to the remaining aspirants in Nasarawa West and the outcome of the party’s primary scheduled for Monday, May 18, 2026. Governor Sule, who is seeking re‑election on the APC platform, has repeatedly called for unity within the party, urging all aspirants to accept the outcomes of the screening and primary processes in good faith. Magaji’s withdrawal is expected to set a precedent for other political appointees and elected officials who may be considering abandoning their posts for legislative ambitions. For now, Magaji says he has no regrets. “I am happy with my decision,” he told The Sun. “The interest of Nasarawa State comes first.”
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments