Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
Commuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were left stranded on Monday, May 18, 2026, after heavy flooding overtook the collapsed Moro Bridge, submerging vehicles and disrupting movement across the busy interstate route. The incident followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, leaving several vehicles trapped in floodwaters, while desperate passengers reportedly climbed onto car roofs awaiting rescue. The affected bridge, located between Oko‑Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa local government areas, had already collapsed on April 30 after a heavy‑duty articulated truck reportedly passed over the aging structure. That initial collapse cut off a major transport link connecting Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and onward routes towards the Benin Republic border. Monday’s flooding further worsened the situation, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government after the bridge collapse was yet to be completed. Video footage obtained from the scene showed vehicles partially submerged in the overflowing river, while stranded commuters struggled to navigate the flooded passage.
The crisis has now escalated beyond simple inconvenience. Community sources told SaharaReporters that the collapse of the Moro Bridge and the failure of diversion works have now grounded movement in and out of the area, forcing civil servants and workers to stay back at home. A nurse residing in Mandela but working at the Kwara State University Teaching Hospital (KWASUTH) in Surulere described the situation as “completely crippling.” “We cannot go anywhere this morning. The road is blocked, everywhere is flooded. Even those of us that need to go to Ilorin for work have no access at all,” she said during a telephone conversation. Another resident said the blockade of the temporary route had left thousands stranded, especially workers who commute daily between Mandela, Ilorin and surrounding communities. “People just woke up and realised there is no road again. The alternative route we were managing is now fully blocked by water because of the heavy rain early this morning,” a community source said.
The flooding has also disrupted the administration of justice. SaharaReporters learnt that officers of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) stationed in Mandela were unable to transport inmates scheduled for court appearances in Ilorin due to the impassable road network. A security source familiar with the situation confirmed the disruption. “The correctional officers cannot move inmates today. The road is completely cut off. There is no safe passage to Ilorin,” the source said. The inability to produce inmates in court could lead to further delays in the judicial process, compounding an already overburdened system.
Commercial activities have also been severely affected. Traders and transport operators who move goods between Kwara, Oyo and even routes linking Benin Republic have been forced to suspend operations. “Everything has stopped. We cannot move livestock or food items again. The road is gone,” a trader told SaharaReporters. Residents and motorists expressed frustration over the prolonged delay in completing emergency intervention works at the site, warning that the situation could become more dangerous as the rainy season intensifies. A trader identified simply as Kafayat lamented the impact of the incident on economic activities in the area. “This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing the cost of transportation for commuters and businesses,” she said. Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project located beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for several years. The worsening condition has heightened fears among communities around the Moro River axis, especially with peak rainfall months still ahead. Residents warned that more severe flooding could occur in July and August if urgent measures are not taken to restore safe passage across the river.
The Moro Bridge, a colonial‑era Bailey bridge, has for decades served as a critical crossing point linking parts of Kwara and Oyo states, although the structure has repeatedly undergone rehabilitation due to persistent structural defects. The initial collapse on April 29, 2026, killed one person and left several others injured after a heavy truck loaded with stones reportedly caused the structure to cave in. Following that collapse, the Kwara State Government had announced traffic diversion measures and promised immediate intervention to ease the hardship faced by commuters. The Commissioner for Works, Engr. Abdulquawiy Olododo, had said the government was working with federal authorities to address the situation. “The Kwara State Government is working with federal authorities to immediately divert traffic following the collapse of the Moro Bridge overnight,” the commissioner had stated. “The collapse occurred in the early hours after a heavy-duty truck passed over the bridge, resulting in a major disruption along the route,” he added. Olododo also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to begin palliative work on alternative routes to reduce traffic congestion and hardship for road users. He further assured residents that construction was ongoing on a new Moro Bridge located a few metres away from the collapsed structure. Despite the assurances, Monday’s flooding has now intensified public concern over the safety of commuters and the pace of response at the site.
A resident of Mandela community said the situation has become life‑threatening, especially with the current rainy conditions. “This is not just inconvenience anymore. People are trapped. If something urgent happens, there is no way in or out,” the resident said. As the sun set on Monday, the floodwaters showed little sign of receding, and the promise of a temporary bypass remained a distant memory. For the thousands of commuters, nurses, civil servants, and traders who rely on the Moro Bridge, the question is no longer when the repairs will be completed, but whether the government can act before the next downpour turns the river into an even greater grave.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments