Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Oyo State Government has issued a formal denial of widespread social media reports claiming that teachers and students abducted during the coordinated attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area on May 15, 2026, have been released, insisting that the victims remain in captivity as of Thursday morning and urging members of the public to disregard what it described as false and misleading information circulating on social media platforms. The denial was issued on Thursday, May 21, 2026, by Abayomi Fagbenro, the Special Adviser on Security to Governor Seyi Makinde, who responded to inquiries by journalists following a flood of unverified posts on WhatsApp, Facebook, X and other platforms that began spreading from Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
“As of 10:35 am, it’s not true,” Fagbenro told reporters, categorically dismissing the viral claims. The reports, which varied in their details, had generated a wave of false hope among families of the victims and anxious residents of Oyo State, many of whom had taken to social media to celebrate the purported development. While some posts affirmed that the victims had been released, others described the reports as fake and expressed doubts, noting that no mainstream media organisation or government source had confirmed the claims. The Oyo State Police Command also weighed in, with the Police Public Relations Officer in Oyo State, Olayinka Ayanlade, telling The PUNCH at midnight on Wednesday that he was not aware of any release of the victims abducted during the Friday attack. Ayanlade, however, said efforts were being intensified to secure the release of those still held hostage.
The attack that led to the mass abduction occurred on the morning of May 15, when armed gunmen on motorcycles invaded three schools in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso in Oriire Local Government Area. The affected schools were Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinle; and LEA Primary School, Esiele. During the assault, the assailants shot sporadically into the air, forcing pupils, students and teachers out of their classrooms before herding a significant number of them into the bush. At least two persons were confirmed killed during the attack, and a mathematics teacher, Michael Oyedokun, was later beheaded by his captors in a viral video. Governor Makinde had earlier disclosed that seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School.
The abduction, which lasted for several hours, drew widespread condemnation from across the country and triggered a major security response. In the aftermath, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, ordered the deployment of more detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to collaborate with the joint security team already on the ground to secure the release of the abducted teachers and students. The Defence Headquarters also disclosed on Tuesday, May 19, that troops had made contact with the abductors and were working to ensure the safe rescue of the victims. On Wednesday, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, called for a “careful, clinical and timely” operation to rescue the abducted students and teachers.
The spread of the false release reports adds to the anguish and confusion that have plagued the families of the abducted victims, who have now spent nearly a week in captivity. The false claims have also drawn sharp criticism from civil society groups, who accused social media users of insensitivity and warned that the circulation of unverified information can jeopardise rescue efforts by creating a false sense of relief among security agencies. Some of the fake reports claimed that the victims had been released following negotiations between the government and the abductors, while others alleged that a ransom had been paid and the victims freed, none of which was confirmed by any official source.
As of the time of this report, the exact number of abducted persons remains uncertain, with conflicting figures provided by various sources. Governor Makinde’s disclosure of seven students, 18 pupils and seven teachers has been the most authoritative figure, but community leaders have compiled a longer list suggesting that more than 40 individuals were taken during the attack. The discrepancy reflects the chaotic nature of the assault, which saw children fleeing in different directions and families scrambling to locate their missing loved ones. The government has promised to provide a comprehensive update once rescue operations are concluded.
The Oyo State Government has, through its security adviser, appealed to the public to refrain from spreading unverified information that could cause unnecessary panic or distress to the families of the abducted victims. “We understand the anxiety and the desire for good news, but we must be responsible and wait for official communication from the appropriate authorities,” Fagbenro said. He added that Governor Makinde was personally monitoring the situation and that security agencies were working around the clock to bring the victims home safely.
For the families of the abducted teachers and students, the false news of a release has been a cruel emotional roller coaster. Several parents who spoke to reporters described the torment of receiving messages from relatives congratulating them on their children’s freedom, only to discover that no such release had occurred. “I received over 50 phone calls from friends and family members who had seen the news online,” said a parent who asked not to be named. “When I called my wife to ask if our daughter had been brought back, she burst into tears. The lies added to our pain.” The government’s denial, while necessary, has dashed the hopes that the viral reports had kindled, leaving the families once again suspended in the limbo of uncertainty.
The security situation in Oyo State remains tense as the joint rescue operation continues. The military, police, Amotekun corps and local vigilantes have been combing the forests of the Old Oyo National Park, where the abductors are believed to have taken the victims. The abductors are armed and are reported to have planted improvised explosive devices along the routes leading to their hideouts, complicating rescue efforts. One Amotekun operative remains in critical condition after being caught in an explosion, and several other personnel have been wounded. The state government has appealed for calm and patience, assuring residents that every available resource is being deployed to secure the unconditional release of the abducted teachers and students.
As of Thursday evening, no further updates on the rescue operation had been provided by the government or security agencies. The Oyo State Police Command reiterated its commitment to ensuring the safe return of the victims and urged residents to continue cooperating with security forces. The spread of false reports on social media has added to the complexity of an already difficult situation, forcing officials to divert attention to debunking misinformation even as they coordinate rescue efforts. The government has warned that it will take legal action against persons found to be deliberately spreading false information capable of inciting public disorder.
For now, the families of the abducted teachers and students continue to wait, their hope dimmed but not extinguished. The false news of a release has come and gone, but the reality remains unchanged: their loved ones are still in captivity, still in danger, and still awaiting rescue. The government has promised to do everything in its power to bring them home, but with each passing day, the emotional and psychological toll on the victims and their families deepens. The people of Oyo State and indeed the whole of Nigeria continue to watch and pray, hoping that the next news about the abductees will be the news that everyone has been waiting for: the news of their actual, verified, unconditional release.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments