Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The number of children abducted from Mussa community in the Askira Uba Local Government Area of Borno State has risen to 42, according to the lawmaker representing Borno South Senatorial District, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume. The attack, which occurred on the morning of Friday, May 15, 2026, targeted both the Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School and nearby residential homes. The assailants, believed to be Boko Haram fighters, exploited a security gap after a military patrol left the area, striking with impunity and dragging children away while some managed to flee into the bush.
Ndume confirmed the incident on Sunday, May 17, 2026, providing a detailed breakdown of the victims. “Four students were abducted from the GDSS (two male and two female), 28 pupils were abducted from the primary section, while 10 children were abducted from their various residential houses,” he stated. The attack was initially reported by the President of the Borno South Youth Alliance, Samaila Kaigama, who had expressed fear that many children were missing. Ndume’s figures confirm the worst fears of the community, which has endured multiple attacks over the years due to its proximity to the Sambisa Forest, a notorious hideout for terrorist groups.
The Deputy Speaker of the Borno State House of Assembly, Abdullahi Askira, who also hails from the affected area, earlier confirmed the attack but noted that details regarding the exact number of abducted students were still sketchy. He expressed dismay that the insurgents struck almost immediately after the departure of a military patrol, suggesting that the attackers had been monitoring troop movements before launching their assault. The incident highlights the persistent security challenges facing rural communities in Borno, particularly those located near the vast Sambisa Forest, which serves as a major hideout for terrorist elements.
Federal lawmaker Midala Balami also condemned the attack, describing it as heartbreaking. “It is heartbreaking that innocent school children and residents continue to suffer under the threat of terrorism and violence in our communities,” he said. Balami called for immediate action by security agencies to secure the release of the abducted children and to prevent future attacks on educational institutions. The attack is the latest in a series of mass abductions targeting schools in Nigeria’s North‑East, a tactic that terrorist groups have used to draw international attention and pressure governments into ransom payments.
The attack on Mussa community was particularly devastating because it targeted not only the school but also residential homes. Witnesses told reporters that the gunmen went from house to house, rounding up children and taking them away on motorcycles. Some children managed to escape into the bush, but many were caught. Community members and local representatives are still compiling lists to determine the exact number of victims, though Ndume’s confirmation of 42 abducted children appears to be the most authoritative count so far.
The Nigerian military has not yet issued an official statement on the attack, but search and rescue operations are reportedly underway. Troops have been deployed to the area, and aerial surveillance is being conducted over the Sambisa Forest in an effort to locate the abducted children. The military has also increased patrols along the Askira Uba axis to prevent further attacks. However, residents of Mussa remain fearful, noting that the insurgents have a history of returning to communities that have been previously attacked.
The abduction of schoolchildren in Borno State has become a recurring nightmare. In 2014, the Chibok girls’ abduction drew global outrage, but despite international attention, mass kidnappings have continued. In 2018, gunmen abducted over 100 schoolgirls from Dapchi, Yobe State, releasing most of them after negotiations. In 2021, bandits abducted over 300 schoolboys from Kankara, Katsina State. The attack on Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School is a stark reminder that the threat to education in Nigeria’s conflict zones remains severe and that the government has yet to find a durable solution to the problem.
As the families of the 42 abducted children wait in agony, the Borno State Government has yet to issue an official statement on the attack. However, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum has previously condemned attacks on schools and has called for the military to do more to protect vulnerable communities. The governor has also advocated for the establishment of a joint security task force to secure the border areas between Borno and neighbouring states. Whether those proposals will now be implemented remains to be seen.
For the children of Mussa, the nightmare began on a Friday morning as they sat in their classrooms. By afternoon, they were gone, taken by men with guns who believe that terror is the only language the government understands. Their families are left with nothing but hope, prayers, and the desperate plea that this time, the government will bring their children home.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments