Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Ogun State Magistrate Court sitting in Isabo, Abeokuta, has sent a powerful signal to residents who treat the state’s highways as personal waste dumps, convicting and sentencing 14 individuals to 14 days imprisonment with an option of a ₦10,000 fine on each of two counts, making a total penalty of ₦20,000. The offenders, comprising men and women, were arrested on Monday, May 18, 2026, at about 8:00 a.m., in the Tekobo area of Idi‑Aba, Abeokuta, while allegedly dumping refuse on a public road. Delivering the judgment, Magistrate O. Sam‑Obaleye found all 14 defendants guilty of violating the Public Health Law of Ogun State 2006 and Section 34(1) of the Ogun State Waste Management Authority Law 2020. She also issued a stern warning that any of the convicts brought before the court again for a similar offence would be sentenced without the option of a fine.
The prosecution, led by Sanitarian Abolaji Dasaolu, built a compelling case around the environmental and public health dangers posed by the offenders’ actions. Dasaolu told the court that the refuse dumped by the convicts emitted an offensive odour that attracted flies, creating breeding conditions capable of spreading cholera and other diseases. He further argued that the accumulation of waste on public roads and drains could block drainage channels, thereby increasing the risk of flooding and endangering both lives and property. The magistrate agreed with the prosecution’s submissions, stating that the actions of the 14 individuals were not only illegal but also a direct threat to the wellbeing of residents in the Abeokuta Magisterial District.
The 14 convicted persons were named as Kareem Sherifat, Isiwat Ololade, Ojanuga Esther, Usman Babatunde, Blessing John, Falodun Bukola, Agunbiade Titilayo, Oritogun Samson, Obasa Idowu, Solomon Adelani, Lateef Saidat, Taiwo Abimbola, Adeniyi Olayinka, and Precious Adeyeri. They were charged on a two‑count charge bordering on illegal waste disposal and acts capable of endangering public health. The court’s sentence, which includes a total fine of ₦20,000 per offender (₦10,000 on each count), reflects the state government’s zero‑tolerance approach to environmental violations, particularly as the rainy season approaches and the risk of flooding increases.
The sentencing follows a series of recent enforcement actions by the Ogun State Waste Management Authority (OGWAMA), which has intensified its crackdown on indiscriminate refuse dumping across the state. In early May 2026, OGWOMA arrested and sentenced 45 residents to community service for similar offences, a development that was preceded by the arrest and prosecution of 108 waste offenders in April. The Special Adviser to the Governor on OGWAMA, Honourable Farook Akintunde, has repeatedly warned that the state government will not tolerate acts capable of endangering public health or degrading the environment. Just a week before the Tekobo arrests, OGWAMA shut down an automobile assembly plant in Moloko‑Asipa for waste burning, and the agency has also sealed a market in Ijebu East Local Government Area over poor sanitation.
The rising tempo of enforcement is in line with Governor Dapo Abiodun’s “Resource Revolution” initiative, a sweeping policy aimed at positioning Ogun State as a continental leader in the circular economy while cracking down on unsafe waste handling. Akintunde, who has personally addressed several groups of offenders before they began their community service, has been blunt in his assessment: repeated sensitisation campaigns have failed, and the government will now rely on prosecution and punishment to change behaviour. “We have sensitised, appealed and even encouraged residents to hand over their waste to the PSP operators assigned to their areas for proper disposal, but to no avail,” Akintunde said earlier in May.
The magistrate’s verdict in the Tekobo case is likely to be a template for future prosecutions. By imposing a prison term with an option of a fine, the court has given offenders a chance to pay their way out of a jail sentence, while simultaneously warning that repeat offenders will not be shown the same leniency. Legal analysts note that the cumulative effect of a ₦20,000 fine on the livelihoods of low‑income residents could serve as a significant deterrent, especially when the alternative is a two‑week stay in a correctional facility.
As the rainy season intensifies, the clogging of drainage systems by illegally dumped refuse has become a critical concern for the state government. In his various public statements, Akintunde has stressed that indiscriminate waste disposal is dangerous because it can lead to flooding and contaminate groundwater. “The state government will not allow that,” he warned. The conviction of the 14 Tekobo residents, coming just weeks after the sentencing of 45 others to community service, suggests that the era of warnings and sensitisations is behind Ogun State. The message from the Isabo Magistrate Court is now unmistakable: dump waste on the streets, and you will pay with your money, your time, or both.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments