Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Nigeria Police Force has rescued 30 Malian nationals from a suspected human trafficking and fraudulent exploitation network operating in Nasarawa State and parts of the Federal Capital Territory, in an operation that uncovered how victims were allegedly lured into Nigeria and held in residential buildings under deceptive conditions.
According to a statement issued on Monday, 18 May 2026, by Force Public Relations Officer Anthony Placid, the syndicate was uncovered following intelligence-led surveillance and complaints linked to relatives of some of the victims in Mali. The operation was carried out by operatives of the Intelligence Response Team, who tracked the suspects to residential apartments in Mararaba and Karu areas of Nasarawa State.
Investigators said the victims, all Malian nationals, were allegedly brought into Nigeria under false promises of job opportunities abroad, particularly in Europe. On arrival, they were reportedly confined in apartments and instructed to contact relatives back home to request money under the pretext of processing travel arrangements or business opportunities.
Police sources said the victims were discovered in two separate residential locations after days of surveillance. The first group was rescued in an apartment within the Karu axis, while a second location in the same general area led to the recovery of additional individuals, bringing the total to 30.
Authorities further disclosed that some of the victims had been held for several weeks and were allegedly forced to participate in the scam by contacting family members to solicit money. In several cases, relatives reportedly sent funds believing their loved ones were in distress or stranded abroad.
During the operation, several suspects were arrested, while others reportedly fled the scene. Police said efforts were ongoing to track other members of the network believed to be operating across multiple locations within Nasarawa State and neighbouring parts of the FCT.
Investigators also revealed that the suspected ringleader of the operation had rented multiple apartments used as holding points for the victims. These locations, according to police, were used to coordinate exploitation activities rather than serve as normal residential accommodation.
The victims were said to have been deceived into travelling from Mali after being promised employment opportunities and better living conditions in Europe. However, upon arrival in Nigeria, they allegedly became trapped in a controlled environment where their movements were restricted and their communications monitored.
Authorities said a key breakthrough in the case came after members of the Malian community raised concerns about missing relatives and suspicious messages requesting money. This led to a formal petition that triggered the police investigation and eventual rescue operation.
The rescued individuals are expected to be handed over to immigration authorities for profiling, documentation, and eventual repatriation in collaboration with the Malian embassy.
The Mararaba and Karu axis, where the victims were found, is part of a rapidly expanding residential corridor between Nasarawa State and the Federal Capital Territory. Security agencies have previously warned that the area’s high population density and mixed urban development can sometimes be exploited by criminal networks for concealment.
Police authorities have reiterated that human trafficking remains a serious criminal offence, often involving cross-border deception, recruitment of vulnerable individuals, and financial exploitation of families.
Investigations are ongoing to identify additional suspects and dismantle the wider network believed to extend beyond Nasarawa State.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments