Jonathan Has Not Purchased 2027 Presidential Nomination Form, Aide Insists

Published on 21 May 2026 at 06:56

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

Jude Imagwe, Special Adviser to former President Goodluck Jonathan, has categorically stated that there is no evidence his former principal has purchased a presidential nomination form for the 2027 general election, directly contradicting claims by a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain who insisted days earlier that the former leader had already obtained the document. Imagwe made the remarks on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, during an interview on News Central Television, where he dismissed growing speculation about Jonathan's alleged political comeback as entirely unofficial and urged the public to disregard narratives being pushed by unnamed political associates.

The aide was responding to statements made by Umar Sani, a former presidential aide and PDP chieftain, who on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, claimed during an appearance on Trust TV that Jonathan had procured the party's nomination form and was preparing to submit it publicly. Sani had insisted that the former president's actions indicated serious political interest, stating, "If you are interested, there are processes you have to follow, one of which is the procurement of nomination forms. He has done that." He further expressed confidence that a pending court case challenging Jonathan's eligibility to contest the presidency would fail, arguing the matter had already been settled judicially.

But Imagwe flatly rejected the narrative. "There is no suggested evidence that shows that my boss purchased or obtained the form," he told News Central, insisting that such claims were being made by individuals without any official mandate from the former president. He also addressed reports that Jonathan had been granted a waiver from screening by a faction of the PDP, describing the pronouncements as unverified political manoeuvring. "Some people said they granted him a waiver. If they have done that in the circuit, I as an individual do not know that they granted him waiver. They are trying to make all this ceremony out of it," Imagwe stated.

The aide emphasized that Jonathan, having served in the highest office in the land, possesses the stature and character to announce his own political decisions. "I find it relatively difficult to suggest right now that my boss, the former president, is actually contesting an election, and if he's contesting an election, it shouldn't be announced to people by proxy," he said. "He's a strong man of strong character and strong personality, having served in respective capacities. So people should not announce for him whether he's contesting an election or he's not contesting. It's a decision that he has to take."

The controversy over Jonathan's political future has intensified in recent days, fueled by competing claims from different political camps. On Tuesday, May 19, the Tanimu Turaki-led Interim National Working Committee of the PDP declared Jonathan as its sole presidential candidate for the 2027 elections, granting him a waiver from appearing before the party's presidential screening committee. The declaration was made by former Niger State Governor Mu'azu Babangida Aliyu, who announced that Jonathan had been cleared without any formal screening. Notably, Jonathan himself was absent during the screening exercise held at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja, and has not publicly declared his ambition or confirmed the platform on which he may contest.

The Turaki-led faction, which is one of at least two competing PDP structures ahead of the 2027 elections, has been actively positioning itself as an alternative to the mainstream party leadership under the Wike-backed faction. The screening committee, chaired by former Vice President Namadi Sambo, includes prominent PDP figures such as Chief Olabode George and Chief Tom Ikimi, though several members of the committee were notably absent from the Tuesday sitting. The declaration effectively anoints Jonathan as the faction's preferred candidate, but without any confirmation from the former president himself, it remains unclear whether he will accept the draft or distance himself entirely from the factional maneuvering.

Jonathan's potential return to the presidential race also faces a significant legal hurdle. On Monday, May 18, 2026, the Federal High Court in Abuja fixed May 26 for judgment in a suit challenging his eligibility to contest the 2027 presidential election. The case, filed by Abuja-based lawyer Johnmary Jideobi, argues that Jonathan has already exhausted the constitutional limit for the office of president, having completed the tenure of late President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua after his death in May 2010 before serving another full term following the 2011 election. Justice Peter Lifu, who is presiding over the matter, will also rule on a separate application by the plaintiff asking the judge to withdraw from the case over allegations of bias. Jonathan and the Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi, have both urged the court to dismiss the suit entirely, with Jonathan's counsel Chris Uche (SAN) arguing that similar cases had already been dismissed in the past.

Meanwhile, the political landscape continues to evolve. On Wednesday, May 20, Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in 2023, dismissed speculations that Jonathan could pose a threat to his own 2027 ambition, stating he was not distracted by the rumours. Obi made the remarks after participating in a presidential screening exercise conducted by the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), a party he has recently aligned with.

For now, Jonathan's intentions remain opaque. Since leaving office in 2015, he has largely played diplomatic and mediation roles across Africa while avoiding direct involvement in partisan politics. He has repeatedly stated, whenever speculation about a return to power arises, that he would consult widely before making any decision. As Imagwe noted on Wednesday, the former president is fully capable of speaking for himself when and if he chooses to enter the race. "He's a man of strong character and political experience," Imagwe said. "If he decides to contest, he will make the announcement himself, not through speculations or third parties."

The coming weeks may bring clarity. With a court ruling scheduled for May 26, and with mounting pressure from supporters who have staged rallies urging him to run, the former president appears to be at a crossroads. But until Jonathan himself speaks, all declarations made on his behalf, whether by PDP chieftains, factional leaders, or even close aides, remain precisely what Imagwe has called them: ceremonies. And ceremonies, in politics, can always be postponed.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.