ADC Shifts Presidential, Governorship Screening to Monday Over Insecurity in Northern Nigeria

Published on 17 May 2026 at 06:20

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has postponed its presidential and governorship aspirants’ screening exercise, citing the worsening security situation in parts of northern Nigeria. The exercise, originally scheduled for this weekend, will now take place on Monday, May 18, 2026, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said in a statement issued on Saturday, May 16, 2026. The party also announced that, due to the security challenges affecting some northern states, the screening of federal lawmaker aspirants from those areas would be relocated to Abuja. “Due to the security situation affecting some parts of Northern Nigeria, the screening of affected federal lawmakers aspirants will now take place in Abuja,” Abdullahi said.

The postponement affects three high‑profile presidential aspirants – former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, and economist Mohammed Hayatu‑Deen – all of whom are contesting for the ADC’s presidential ticket ahead of the January 2027 general election. According to the party’s timetable, the rescheduled screening for National Assembly and presidential aspirants is now set for May 22, while governorship and House of Assembly screenings will follow on May 20. The party has assured that all affected aspirants will be duly contacted with updated schedules and necessary details.

The ADC’s decision comes against the backdrop of a dramatic upsurge in banditry, kidnapping, and violent attacks across northern Nigeria, which has forced political parties to reconsider their internal timelines. Just days before the ADC’s announcement, gunmen killed 11 people in a daylight attack on Gurbi Village, Katsina State, adding to an unending cycle of violence in the North‑West. On the same day, the Senate approved a $516 million loan for the Sokoto‑Badagry Super Highway, while President Bola Tinubu vowed he would not be forced out by insecurity and declared his intention to seek re‑election in 2027.

Security analysts tracking the North‑West crisis noted that between January 2025 and April 2026, criminal groups carried out 1,145 kidnapping attacks across Nigeria, with the vast majority concentrated in the North‑West and North‑Central zones. The violence has disrupted everything from farming and trade to educational activities and political mobilisation. In Zamfara State, for example, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) was forced to abruptly postpone its House of Representatives primaries, citing both internal party fractures and the logistical nightmare of conducting elections in a region besieged by armed banditry. The APC’s National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, directed the rescheduling of the Zamfara primaries to Monday, May 18, highlighting how insecurity is now directly shaping the internal calendars of all major political parties.

The ADC’s move also comes at a time when the opposition is reeling from a series of defections, legal crises, and internal fragmentation. The party lost its two most prominent political heavyweights – Peter Obi and Rabiu Kwankwaso – who defected to the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) earlier in May, citing legal battles and internal divisions. The ADC’s presidential hopeful, Mohammed Hayatu‑Deen, recently declared that he would formally designate bandits and kidnapping syndicates as terrorist organisations if elected, a policy position that resonates with the party’s new focus on insecurity as a defining campaign issue.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has itself expressed deep security concerns ahead of the 2027 general elections, describing the role of security as “both the first mile and the last mile” of the electoral process. The commission has sought increased collaboration with the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies, warning that without adequate protection, large parts of the North‑West and North‑East could become no‑go zones for election officials, voters, and candidates alike. The ADC’s decision to relocate its northern aspirants’ screening to Abuja effectively acknowledges that reality.

Political observers note that the ADC’s postponement, while logistical, also carries political weight. The party has been struggling to position itself as a viable third‑force alternative in a political landscape increasingly dominated by the APC and the emerging NDC coalition. Any delay in its internal processes risks ceding momentum to rival parties that have already completed their primaries. However, the ADC’s leadership has insisted that the safety of aspirants and party officials must take precedence over electoral timelines.

“We regret any inconvenience this adjustment may cause and appreciate the understanding and cooperation of all aspirants and stakeholders,” Bolaji Abdullahi said in the party’s statement. For the three presidential aspirants and dozens of federal lawmaker candidates affected by the rescheduling, the extra 48 hours may offer a temporary reprieve, but the underlying question remains: if the security situation in northern Nigeria is already forcing political parties to abandon their own screening venues, how safe will the actual elections be in 2027? The ADC has not provided an answer. Neither has INEC. Neither has the Federal Government. And in the villages of Katsina, Zamfara, and Plateau, the gunmen are not waiting for a response.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.