Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the Federal Government over what he described as a slow and weak response to renewed xenophobic tensions and anti-immigrant threats in South Africa.
In a statement issued on Sunday through his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku said it was embarrassing that Nigeria, often regarded as Africa’s largest country, appeared hesitant while smaller African nations moved quickly to protect their citizens.
The former presidential candidate, who is now a leading figure in the Bola Ahmed Tinubu opposition-aligned African Democratic Congress coalition efforts, specifically compared Nigeria’s response with that of Ghana, whose government recently approved the evacuation of more than 300 citizens affected by the latest anti-immigrant unrest in South Africa.
According to Atiku, the Tinubu administration only acted after public pressure intensified over reports of attacks and threats against Nigerians and other African migrants living in South Africa.
Reuters reported earlier this month that at least 130 Nigerians in South Africa had requested government-assisted repatriation following protests and demonstrations targeting foreigners in parts of Pretoria and Johannesburg.
The report said the Nigerian government had condemned violence against its citizens, including the reported deaths of two Nigerians allegedly assaulted by security officials in South Africa. Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs also summoned South Africa’s High Commissioner in Abuja over the situation while Nigerian diplomatic missions in South Africa intensified engagement with local authorities.
The latest tensions followed anti-immigration protests organised by pressure groups in South Africa demanding stricter action against undocumented migrants. Protesters accused foreign nationals of contributing to unemployment, crime, and pressure on public services, claims that migrant-rights organisations rejected as scapegoating.
Ghana’s government announced on May 12 that President John Dramani Mahama had approved the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaian nationals from South Africa after affected citizens registered with the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria for rescue and support.
Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, said the evacuees had complied with earlier safety advisories issued by the government and would be assisted through coordinated evacuation arrangements.
Atiku argued that Nigeria should have demonstrated similar urgency given the country’s longstanding diplomatic and economic relationship with South Africa and the repeated history of xenophobic attacks affecting Nigerians there.
Nigeria and South Africa have experienced diplomatic tensions on several occasions over attacks on foreign nationals, particularly Nigerians, during outbreaks of xenophobic violence in South African cities over the past two decades. Major incidents recorded in 2008, 2015, and 2019 led to deaths, destruction of businesses, diplomatic protests, and evacuation efforts by several African governments.
In the current situation, South African authorities have acknowledged concerns over rising anti-immigrant tensions while condemning violence and promising action against xenophobic attacks.
South Africa’s government has also maintained that illegal immigration remains a serious domestic issue but insisted that grievances should not translate into violence against foreign nationals.
Atiku’s comments add to growing criticism from opposition figures and civil society groups demanding stronger diplomatic protection for Nigerians living abroad. His statement also reflects broader political tensions between the opposition and the Tinubu administration as debates continue over foreign policy, citizen welfare, and Nigeria’s role in continental affairs.
As of Sunday evening, the Federal Government had not publicly responded to Atiku’s latest criticism. However, Nigerian authorities previously stated that embassies and diplomatic missions in South Africa remained in contact with local officials to monitor developments and support affected Nigerians.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments