The principal of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, who was abducted alongside students and teachers during Friday’s armed attack on the school, has appealed to the Federal Government, Oyo State Government, the Christian Association of Nigeria and Nigerians to intervene for their rescue.
The principal, identified in multiple reports as Mrs. Rachael Alamu, was kidnapped on Friday morning after armed men invaded schools in the Ahoro-Esinele axis between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.
The latest appeal reportedly came through communication from captivity as concern continued to grow over the safety of the abducted victims. However, authorities had not officially disclosed details of the message as of Sunday evening.
Initial reports from residents and security sources stated that gunmen stormed Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, abducting the principal alongside an unspecified number of students and staff members. A teacher was also reportedly shot during the attack.
The Oyo State Police Command confirmed that attacks occurred in parts of Oriire Local Government Area and said tactical teams had been deployed for rescue operations.
According to a statement cited by Independent Newspaper, the attackers operated on motorcycles and simultaneously attacked multiple schools, including Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School and L.A Primary School in Esiele.
The police statement further said that some pupils, students and staff members were abducted during the coordinated attacks.
Independent Newspaper also reported that an Assistant Headmaster identified as Mr. Adesiyan was killed during the incident, while an okada rider was allegedly shot dead after resisting attempts by the attackers to seize his motorcycle.
The Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board later confirmed the killing of a teacher and the abduction of pupils following the attacks on schools in the Ahoro-Esinele community.
In its statement, OYOSUBEB said the exact number of abducted pupils had not yet been ascertained and announced temporary closure directives affecting schools in neighbouring local government areas including Surulere, Oyo East, Oriire and Olorunsogo as security measures.
Residents of the affected communities said the attackers escaped through forest routes bordering the area after abducting victims. Several reports stated that the kidnappers fled with a vehicle belonging to the abducted principal.
The spokesperson for the Oyo State Police Command, DSP Olayinka Ayanlade, confirmed that the Commissioner of Police, CP Abimbola Olugbenga, personally led operational teams to the affected communities for assessment and coordination of rescue efforts.
Police authorities said intelligence and tactical operations were ongoing to secure the release of the victims and arrest those responsible for the attacks.
Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier described the attacks as a major security concern and said preliminary findings suggested that suspicious movements and activities in the affected communities were not reported quickly enough to security agencies before the attacks occurred.
The incident has intensified fears over renewed attacks on schools in parts of Nigeria, particularly in rural communities with limited security presence. Parents and residents in the affected Oyo communities have continued demanding stronger protection for schools and faster rescue efforts for the abducted victims.
As of Sunday night, authorities had not officially confirmed the number of students, teachers and residents still being held by the abductors, while no rescue announcement had yet been made public.
Add comment
Comments