EFCC, ICPC Probe N12bn Federal Government Fund Released to NFF for Players' Wages, Bonuses

Published on 20 August 2026 at 13:37

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating how the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) spent a N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund meant for players' wages and bonuses, after concerns were raised about the management of public money allocated to Nigeria's national football teams.

The investigation came to light after the NFF turned down a request for documents detailing how the money was managed and spent, saying the records had been handed over to the two anti-corruption agencies. The federation disclosed this in a letter dated August 18, 2026, signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, in response to a Freedom of Information request filed by the law firm Cromwell & Okeke.

The law firm had asked for financial statements, utilisation logs and other relevant documents concerning the N12 billion intervention fund reportedly released by the Federal Government to settle players' wages and bonuses. Its request was dated August 7, 2026, but the football federation received it four days later, on August 11.

In its response, the NFF said it could not grant the request because the issues raised in the application were already under investigation by the EFCC and ICPC. The letter stated that the relevant records were currently with the anti-corruption bodies. "It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject to investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC)," the NFF wrote. The federation further disclosed that the documents requested were no longer in its possession, adding that all records relating to the fund had been transferred to the EFCC and ICPC.

The NFF did not disclose what specific transactions or aspects of the fund are being examined, nor did it state when the investigations commenced, which individuals or officials may be under scrutiny, or whether any suspects had been invited or questioned by either agency. The investigation centres on a N12 billion intervention approved by President Bola Tinubu to clear outstanding financial obligations to Nigeria's national teams. In January 2024, the presidency announced that the payment covered outstanding salaries, allowances and other financial obligations owed to several national teams and their coaches. A statement from the Tinubu Media Centre said the payment included 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to coaches of the senior national team, as well as allowances and other payments due to the senior men's, women's and Under-20 national teams.

Sources told SaharaReporters that the NFF said a major portion of the N12 billion was spent on resolving hotel accommodation expenses for players at different levels of government. However, the federation's response does not provide a detailed breakdown of how the intervention fund was ultimately spent. The investigation comes amid renewed scrutiny of the administration and financing of Nigerian football. The NFF has faced persistent criticism over the management of national teams, including concerns about unpaid entitlements, administrative decisions and the use of public funds.

The development also comes after reports that the NFF, led by president Ibrahim Musa Gusau, had written to FIFA over moves allegedly being considered by the Nigerian government concerning the federation's leadership. According to reports, the government had given the National Sports Commission (NSC) the go-ahead to establish an interim committee to oversee Nigerian football and halt the planned NFF election. The reported move followed growing concerns over the performance and administration of the national teams, including the Super Falcons' failure to qualify for the Women's World Cup for the first time. As the EFCC and ICPC investigations progress, the handling and utilisation of the N12 billion fund remain under intense scrutiny, raising fundamental questions about accountability and the management of public resources in Nigerian sports administration.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.