Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
Armed gunmen launched a coordinated assault on several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State on Friday, August 21, 2026, invading mosques shortly after the conclusion of the weekly Juma'at prayers and abducting an unspecified number of worshippers in an attack that has sent fresh waves of fear across the already troubled border communities. The attackers struck the Central Mosque in Dekara community first, surrounding the building and filing worshippers into a straight line before marching them into a nearby bush towards the Kainji Lake forest, suspected to be a hideout for bandit groups. After the Dekara raid, the gunmen moved into neighbouring communities, including Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida and Masaka, where they carried out more abductions after worshippers had completed their prayers.
The incident occurred at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Friday, shortly after worshippers concluded their prayers with the recitation of "Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh," according to a resident, Mohammed Haruna. The attackers reportedly attacked several worshippers with machetes during the invasion, with some managing to escape while others sustained injuries as they fled. Among those reportedly taken away by the armed assailants was the 90-year-old father of the District Head of Dekara. The village head of Ka'ada, who was recently released from captivity, and the chief imam of the central mosque were also among those abducted, according to residents.
The federal lawmaker representing the area, Hon. Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu, confirmed the incident but said the actual number of people abducted was yet to be established. He disclosed that youths and heads of households were among those taken away by the attackers. Shetiman Borgu said the attackers entered Dekara after Friday prayers, surrounded the mosque and took worshippers into the forest, later moving into neighbouring communities to carry out more abductions. He also revealed that forests in the area had become hideouts for suspected members of the Lakurawa and Mamudawa groups, adding that there had reportedly been a disagreement between the two groups following the attacks on worshippers on Friday. According to him, some members of the groups were said to have opposed the invasion of mosques and abduction of worshippers, leading to clashes between the factions. Authorities suspected that the abductors might have targeted youths for recruitment, although it remained unclear whether the attackers were members of Lakurawa or Mamudawa.
The Niger State Police Command confirmed the incident, with Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, stating that security agencies had mobilised personnel for a rescue operation. Abiodun said no death had been recorded in connection with the incident, while efforts were ongoing to locate the victims and apprehend the perpetrators. However, he disclosed that difficult terrain and poor road conditions were hampering the movement of security personnel responding to the incident. According to him, a collapsed bridge linking the affected communities with the Borgu Local Government headquarters had further slowed down the deployment of security forces and the rescue operation. The police spokesman said security agencies were working to overcome the logistical challenges and intensify the search for the abducted worshippers.
The latest attack has heightened concerns over the security situation in Borgu, which shares borders with Kebbi and Kwara states as well as the Republic of Benin. In recent months, reports have emerged of suspected Lakurawa fighters operating in parts of Niger State, where they allegedly gathered residents for preaching and warned them against activities they considered contrary to their interpretation of Islamic teachings. The group has reportedly preached against stealing, alcohol consumption and adultery, while calling on residents to observe Sharia principles. Last week, more than 20 people were reportedly killed in parts of Borgu Local Government Area. Borgu was also the scene of a major abduction in November 2025, when gunmen reportedly abducted more than 200 pupils in Papiri, who were later released after spending about a month in captivity. In January, at least 30 people were reported killed when gunmen attacked Kasuwan-Daji village in Borgu, while several others were abducted. A month later, gunmen attacked three communities in the area – Tunga-Makeri, Konkoso and Pissa – killing at least 32 people and abducting an unspecified number of residents.
Despite assurances by security agencies that efforts are ongoing to combat armed groups in Niger State, the latest attacks have further underscored the security challenges confronting communities in the state. The police have urged residents to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could assist in rescuing the victims and tracking down the perpetrators. Security sources said troops and other security personnel were expected to sustain search operations across the surrounding forests and possible escape routes used by the attackers. As the search for the abducted worshippers continues, the people of Borgu and the wider Niger State are left to grapple with the grim reality that their places of worship have become hunting grounds for armed groups, and that the security of their communities hangs by a thread.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments