Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Airport Police Command in Abuja has arrested a 17-year-old boy, Benjamin Daniel, over the alleged sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl in the Sabo Masalashi area of Bassa, Abuja, in a case that has once again exposed the vulnerability of young girls and the systemic failure to protect them from predators. The command disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by its Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Mohammed Adeola, who said the incident occurred on August 15, 2026, and was reported by the girl's mother at the Abuja Airport Police Division. According to the statement, the suspect, who resides in Angua Mandala, allegedly lured the girl into his room under the pretext of buying some of the soya bean cake she was selling. The statement said the suspect allegedly sexually assaulted the girl after taking her into the room.
The police response, while swift in some respects, raises troubling questions about the adequacy of the justice system in protecting minors from sexual violence. Upon receipt of the report, the Divisional Police Officer, Abuja Airport Police Division, immediately contacted the victim's parents, facilitated her prompt medical attention, and mobilised personnel to locate and arrest the suspect. The police said Daniel was subsequently arrested and remained in custody as investigation continued. His statement was obtained in the presence of his mother, in line with procedures for handling juvenile suspects. The police also said measures had been put in place to safeguard the welfare and wellbeing of the girl while the investigation continues. The command said the suspect would be brought before a juvenile court of competent jurisdiction after the conclusion of the investigation.
The Commissioner of Police, Airport Police Command, CP Olufunke Ogunbode, condemned the alleged assault and reiterated the command's stance against sexual violence. "Ogunbode strongly condemned the incident and reiterated the Command's zero tolerance for rape, sexual assault and all forms of sexual violence," the statement said. The CP also directed the DPO to ensure that necessary measures were taken to protect the victim and facilitate justice in accordance with the law. The police assured that the investigation would be conducted in line with applicable legal procedures.
However, the arrest of a 17-year-old for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl, while welcome, is a stark reminder of the pervasive culture of sexual violence that continues to plague Nigerian society, particularly against minors. The incident in Bassa, where a young girl going about her legitimate business of selling soya bean cake was lured into a trap, is not an isolated event. It is part of a disturbing pattern of predatory behaviour that targets the most vulnerable members of society. The fact that the suspect is a minor himself adds a layer of complexity to the case, but it does not diminish the gravity of the offence or the trauma inflicted on the victim. The question that must be asked is: how many more young girls must be assaulted before the government takes decisive action to address the root causes of sexual violence?
The case also highlights the inadequacy of the juvenile justice system in Nigeria, which often fails to deliver meaningful justice for victims of sexual violence. The decision to refer the case to a juvenile court, while procedurally correct, raises concerns about the severity of the punishment that the suspect may face. In many cases, juvenile offenders convicted of sexual offences receive lenient sentences that do not reflect the seriousness of their crimes, sending a dangerous message that sexual violence against minors is not a serious offence. This is particularly troubling given the prevalence of sexual violence in Nigeria, where, according to the United Nations, one in four girls and one in ten boys will experience sexual violence before the age of 18. These statistics are a damning indictment of a society that has failed to protect its children from predators.
The police command's zero-tolerance stance, while commendable, must be backed by concrete action to ensure that perpetrators of sexual violence are brought to justice and that victims receive the support they need to recover from their trauma. The command's assurance that the investigation would be conducted in line with applicable legal procedures is a positive step, but it is not enough. The police must also work to address the systemic issues that allow sexual violence to flourish, including the lack of adequate sex education, the stigma associated with reporting sexual offences, and the failure of the justice system to prosecute offenders effectively. The case of Benjamin Daniel is a test of the police's commitment to protecting minors from sexual violence, and the outcome will be closely watched by civil society organisations and human rights advocates.
The victim, a 14-year-old girl, now faces a long and difficult road to recovery, both physically and emotionally. The trauma of sexual assault can have lasting effects on a young person's mental health, and it is essential that she receives the support she needs to heal. The police command's promise to safeguard her welfare and wellbeing is a positive step, but it must be followed through with concrete action, including access to counselling and psychological support. The victim's family also deserves justice, and the police must ensure that the investigation is thorough and that the suspect is held accountable for his actions. The case of Benjamin Daniel is a reminder that sexual violence is not just a crime against an individual but a crime against society as a whole, and that we all have a responsibility to protect the most vulnerable among us.
As the investigation continues, the police must ensure that the suspect is treated in accordance with the law and that his rights are protected. However, the rights of the victim must also be prioritised, and the police must ensure that she is not re-traumatised by the legal process. The juvenile court, when the case is eventually brought before it, must deliver a sentence that reflects the seriousness of the offence and sends a clear message that sexual violence against minors will not be tolerated. Anything less would be a betrayal of the victim and a failure of the justice system to protect the most vulnerable members of society. The arrest of Benjamin Daniel is a step in the right direction, but it is only the beginning of a long journey towards justice for the victim and her family.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments