Kaduna Community Appeals for Government Intervention as Bandits Demand N1 Billion to Free 37 Abducted Worshippers

Published on 24 May 2026 at 13:53

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The quiet agrarian settlement of Ariko community in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State has been living a nightmare for over 45 days. On Easter Sunday, armed bandits stormed three churches in the area, killed five worshippers and abducted 37 others from St. Augustine Catholic Church, ECWA, and the Baptist church. As of today, Sunday, May 24, 2026, all 37 victims remain in captivity, and their abductors are demanding a ransom of N1 billion and 35 brand-new motorcycles for their release.

The community, represented by the Kuturmi Development Association (KUDA), has now cried out publicly, appealing to both the Federal Government and the Kaduna State Government to urgently intervene. In a statement to journalists, the President of KUDA, Dr. Joseph David Ariko, explained that the kidnappers have been contacting the community consistently, almost every two days, insisting on their ransom without any reduction.

“These are poor farming communities that cannot afford such an amount,” Dr. Ariko said, his voice heavy with desperation. “We have no means to raise N1 billion. We are relying solely on government intervention for the rescue of our people.” The community's plea comes after weeks of quiet negotiations and frantic efforts to raise funds from individuals, but the sheer size of the demand has made it impossible. The kidnappers, in their demands, have also insisted on the supply of 35 brand-new motorcycles, a demand that suggests a desire to bolster their own operational logistics.

The Easter Sunday attacks threw the entire Kachia Local Government Area into mourning. According to residents, the bandits invaded the churches simultaneously during services, firing indiscriminately. Five worshippers were killed on the spot, and 37 were marched into the surrounding forest. The abducted victims include men, women, and children. The community, predominantly made up of farmers, has now been thrown into an economic and emotional crisis. Many families have been unable to visit their farms for fear of attacks, and children have stopped attending school.

Dr. Ariko, speaking on behalf of the community, disclosed that the prolonged captivity has caused severe trauma. “The relatives of the captives can no longer sleep. The kidnappers call us and taunt us, and we are forced to listen to the voices of our loved ones pleading for help in the background,” he said. “We are scared that if help does not come soon, the kidnappers might start killing the victims.”

The Kaduna State Government and the Nigerian military have not yet issued a specific statement regarding this particular incident. However, it is known that security forces have been engaged in rescue operations across the Kachia axis. The terrain in Kachia is rugged, with thick forests that extend into neighboring states, making rescue operations complex. Governor Uba Sani, who has been vocal about security issues in the state, has previously stated that his administration is committed to tackling banditry.

The Ariko community has now called on the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and humanitarian organizations to step in to provide support for the families who are suffering from severe psychological distress. They also appealed to the Federal Government to deploy special forces to the area to assist in the rescue operation.

While the government has remained largely silent, the abductors have grown bolder. A community source who spoke to Stone Reporters News on condition of anonymity said the bandits recently allowed one of the abducted women to call her family. During the call, the woman reported that several of the captives were sick and that they were running out of water. “They are living in very harsh conditions. We are afraid some of them may die of illness before the ransom is paid,” the source said.

The incident in Ariko is not isolated. Kachia Local Government Area has seen a rise in kidnapping for ransom incidents in recent months. The bandits, who often cross from neighboring states, have established camps deep in the forests. The Easter Sunday church attack was, however, the most coordinated, as it targeted three different churches at the same time.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Kaduna State Chapter, has expressed outrage over the continued captivity of the worshippers. In a statement, the Chairman of CAN, Rev. John Joseph Hayab, described the situation as "a national shame." He called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to personally intervene and order a military rescue operation. “The church is under siege,” he said. “These abductions are not just attacks on Christians; they are attacks on the Nigerian state. The government must act decisively.”

While the call for military action grows, the families of the 37 captives are stuck in a painful limbo. They are unable to pay the impossible ransom, and they are terrified that a military assault could lead to the death of their loved ones. The emotional weight of the situation has left the community paralyzed. Many residents have relocated to neighboring towns for safety, while others remain, guarding their houses with machetes and hunting rifles.

The Federal Government has, in the past, insisted on a "no ransom" policy, yet reports indicate that payments are often made secretly. The Ariko community, however, maintains that it is not in a position to debate policy. “We are poor farmers. Even if we were to sell everything we own, we could not reach N1 billion,” Dr. Ariko pleaded. “We are holding on to hope that the government will hear our cries and rescue our people.”

Security analysts have noted that the demand for N1 billion is one of the highest in recent memory, suggesting that the abductors are either extremely confident or are using the demand to mask a desire to keep the hostages indefinitely. The involvement of multiple churches also indicates a high level of organization.

As the sun sets on Ariko community, the families of the 37 worshippers are gathered in small groups, praying and crying. They have lost five family members already, and they are terrified of losing more. With the government yet to announce a concrete rescue plan, the community is left to wait, hoping that the next phone call will be one of relief, not of mourning.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.