Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai’s Wife Demands ₦2 Billion from ICPC over Alleged Defamation, Spouse’s Detention

Published on 24 May 2026 at 05:56

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

Aichatou El‑Rufai, the wife of former Kaduna State Governor Nasir Ahmad El‑Rufai, has issued a pre‑action notice to the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), demanding ₦2 billion in damages over what her lawyers describe as false and defamatory statements published by the anti‑graft agency. The legal team also demanded an immediate retraction of the contested claims and a public apology, warning that court action would follow if the commission fails to comply within 14 days. The dispute stems from a press release issued by the ICPC on May 18, 2026, titled “Clarification on the Access Control Protocol at ICPC Headquarters, Abuja,” which was read by the commission’s spokesperson, J. Okor Odey.

According to the pre‑action notice, Mrs El‑Rufai’s lawyers took particular exception to the commission’s reference to her as “a woman who identified herself as the wife of a defendant.” The legal team argued that the wording cast doubt on her status as the lawful spouse of the former governor, causing her public embarrassment and ridicule. They further contended that the ICPC’s description of her earlier claims as “false and misleading” was defamatory and painted her as dishonest and manipulative in the eyes of the public. The notice also challenged allegations that she breached visitation procedures at the commission’s headquarters, insisting that such remarks unfairly depicted her as someone who disregards institutional rules. Additionally, the lawyers objected to portions of the ICPC statement that suggested Mrs El‑Rufai had contradicted herself over reports that her husband was denied food while in custody, arguing that those comments undermined her credibility and integrity. The legal team also accused the commission of implying that she deliberately staged a media spectacle to bypass official protocols, a claim they described as malicious.

The lawyers described Mrs El‑Rufai as a woman of “unblemished character” and accused the anti‑corruption agency of using its official platform to unfairly target a private citizen. The publication, they said, has gained wide circulation across local and international media platforms, exposing Mrs El‑Rufai to ridicule, embarrassment and significant reputational harm. The demands set out in the pre‑action notice include an immediate retraction of the contested statements, a public apology to be published in at least three national newspapers and on the commission’s digital and social media platforms, and ₦2 billion in general, aggravated and exemplary damages. The notice also seeks a written undertaking from the ICPC that no similar statements will be issued against Mrs El‑Rufai in the future. The commission has been given 14 days to comply, failing which the legal team said it would commence legal proceedings.

The ICPC, however, appeared caught off guard by the legal threat. When contacted by Sunday PUNCH on May 23, 2026, the commission’s spokesperson, John Odey, said he had not yet received details of the suit. “I have not seen it but I will confirm on Monday and get back to you,” Odey said.

The dispute comes against the backdrop of the ICPC’s ongoing investigation of former Governor Nasir El‑Rufai. He was arrested by the commission on February 19, 2026, and has since remained in custody over allegations of financial impropriety during his tenure as Kaduna governor (2015–2023). On April 13, 2026, the ICPC arraigned El‑Rufai before a Kaduna High Court on an amended nine‑count charge bordering on alleged fraud and abuse of office. On May 18, 2026, the same day the ICPC issued the press statement that sparked the defamation suit, the commission also dismissed claims that El‑Rufai had been denied food or adequate medical care while in detention, stating that the former governor had been allowed to see doctors of his choice and receive visits from family members under the agency’s approved access hours.

This is not the first time the El‑Rufai family has taken legal aim at the ICPC. In March 2026, the former governor himself issued a pre‑action notice demanding N15.6 billion in damages from the commission over alleged illegal detention, defamation, abuse of office, forgery and malicious prosecution. Through his lawyer, Ubong Akpan, El‑Rufai accused the ICPC of contempt of court, fabrication of evidence and unlawful imprisonment. That notice, dated March 4, 2026, was received at the ICPC headquarters the following day. The commission has yet to respond publicly to that claim.

As the 14‑day deadline for compliance ticks away, the ICPC now finds itself facing a second potentially costly legal battle with the El‑Rufai family. Should the commission fail to respond, Mrs El‑Rufai’s legal team has made it clear that they will proceed to court, setting the stage for a high‑profile legal showdown between a former governor’s spouse and one of Nigeria’s foremost anti‑corruption agencies.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.