Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Gabriel Osa
Lagos, Nigeria — The Lagos State Police Command has taken a suspect into custody in connection with the mysterious deaths of a gospel artiste and three associates whose bodies were discovered inside a music studio in the Abraham Adesanya area of Ajah. The development follows days of public concern and speculation about what led to the untimely deaths of the four individuals.
Police confirmed that the person now in custody is the organiser of the event the victims had attended and the owner of the music studio where they were found dead earlier this week. The arrest was announced as detectives transferred the case from the Ajah Police Division to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) at Panti, Yaba, for a more detailed inquiry.
The victims have been identified as gospel musician Matthew Ogundele, also known as Segun Praise, and three others: Itunu Ogundele, Joseph Sanya, and Matthew Awosanya, popularly known in media circles as JoesTv. The four had reportedly been invited to perform at a three-day birthday praise event organised by a female gospel artiste, with the studio owner’s wife hosting the programme.
According to the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Adebisi, the incident was initially reported at the Ajah Division after the victims were discovered early on Wednesday by the studio owner, identified as Akintayo Akinbola. He told police that he had left the artistes inside the studio after purchasing food for them on the night of the event, returning the next morning to find the door locked. Upon forced entry, the lifeless bodies were found.
Authorities have emphasised that preliminary examinations at the scene revealed no visible signs of violence on the bodies. Detectives have since taken the corpses to Mainland Hospital, Yaba, where a doctor confirmed their deaths before they were deposited at the mortuary for autopsy and preservation. The police are awaiting the autopsy results to help determine the cause of death as investigations continue.
The arrest signalises a significant turn in the probe, following public outcry and mounting calls for answers from friends, colleagues and members of the gospel music community. Online, many have demanded a transparent inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the deaths, while social media posts showing images from the scene have fuelled speculation about possible causes.
Family members of the deceased have expressed grief and frustration over the tragedy, with some questioning the absence of early official explanations. The mother of one of the victims was featured in an emotional appeal on social media, pleading for justice and clarity, and highlighting that the four had simply reported for a scheduled performance before the fatal outcome.
The case has reverberated across Lagos and beyond, drawing attention to safety standards in entertainment venues and the need for thorough investigations when unexplained deaths occur in such settings. Authorities have not yet released details about the nature of the charges the detained suspect may face, but police have said they will provide updates as new information from the ongoing inquiry becomes available.
As the probe unfolds, the public and the families of those involved are awaiting the forensic results that could shed light on what remains a deeply troubling and highly unusual incident.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments