Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Gabriel Osa
An Armoured Personnel Carrier belonging to the Nigerian Army was destroyed after striking an improvised explosive device along the Keta–Danjibga road in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, according to local security sources.
The explosion reportedly occurred on Thursday evening while troops were escorting civilian vehicles along the high-risk corridor, which has experienced repeated attacks attributed to armed bandit groups operating in parts of northwestern Nigeria. Eyewitness accounts indicate that the blast instantly engulfed the armoured vehicle in flames, forcing soldiers and civilians in the convoy to take cover.
Local residents told reporters that suspected bandits were later seen celebrating in nearby areas, claiming responsibility after observing that the military vehicle had been destroyed. Authorities have not officially confirmed the identity of the attackers or whether any group has formally claimed responsibility for the explosion.
The number of military or civilian casualties resulting from the blast remains uncertain. Security personnel reportedly secured the area shortly after the incident and began preliminary assessment operations. Medical evacuation teams were said to be on standby, though no official casualty figures have been released.
The Keta–Danjibga axis is considered a volatile security corridor within Tsafe LGA, where armed groups have previously carried out ambushes, abductions and roadside attacks. The use of improvised explosive devices represents an escalation in tactics commonly associated with insurgent and criminal networks operating across rural northwest Nigeria.
Security analysts note that IED attacks targeting military convoys reflect attempts by armed actors to undermine troop mobility and weaken escort operations designed to protect civilians travelling through insecure routes. Such attacks also complicate ongoing counter-banditry operations conducted by Nigerian security forces in the region.
The Nigerian Army has not issued a detailed public statement confirming the destruction of the vehicle or providing casualty information. Military authorities typically conduct internal operational assessments before releasing official reports on battlefield incidents.
Banditry remains a major security challenge across parts of northwestern Nigeria, including Zamfara State, where communities have experienced repeated attacks on villages, highways and farming settlements. Despite intensified military operations, armed groups continue to exploit difficult terrain and limited surveillance coverage in rural zones.
Civilian escort missions are often organized to allow traders and residents to move along high-risk routes under military protection. However, the effectiveness of these escorts has been repeatedly tested by ambushes and roadside explosive devices.
Humanitarian and security observers have called for improved intelligence gathering, expanded surveillance technology and stronger community cooperation to counter the evolving tactics of armed groups. They argue that sustainable security in the region requires both kinetic operations and socioeconomic stabilization measures.
As of the time of reporting, the exact number of soldiers or civilians affected by the explosion had not been verified. Further updates are expected as military and state security authorities conclude their investigation into the incident.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments