Lagos High Court Arraigns NURTW Chieftain Shamsudeen Oladiti Over Alleged Involuntary Manslaughter Of Dispatch Rider

Published on 21 May 2026 at 07:22

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

A 55-year-old chieftain of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Shamsudeen Oladiti, popularly known as "Shamelon," was on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, arraigned before a Lagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja over the alleged killing of a dispatch rider, Ramon Imam. The Lagos State Government docked the defendant on a three-count charge bordering on involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy, and attempted murder, filed against him under Sections 224, 411, and 230 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The prosecution counsel, Jubril Kareem, told the court that the alleged offences were committed between August 27 and September 17, 2025, on Lewis Street, Lagos Island. According to the prosecution, the defendant and others still at large allegedly conspired on September 17, 2025, at about 10 a.m., to commit the offences. Kareem further alleged that Oladiti caused the death of Imam later that same day at about 3 p.m. by repeatedly beating him with fist blows and striking him several times on the head and face. The prosecutor also told the court that on August 27, 2025, at about 10 a.m., Oladiti attempted to murder one Samuel Omale by assaulting him with fist blows, causing severe injuries at the same location on Lagos Island.

However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Following his plea, defence counsel Olanrewaju Ajanaku informed the court that he had filed a bail application dated April 27, 2026, which had been served on the prosecution. Ajanaku urged the court to grant bail. The prosecution acknowledged receipt of the application and raised no objection, but noted that the defence was also seeking an order directing the correctional centre to confirm the defendant's medical status at a state-owned hospital.

In a bench ruling, Justice Olawale Alebiosu granted the bail application and directed the Controller of Corrections at Kirikiri Correctional Centre to confirm the defendant's medical condition at a Lagos State government hospital. The court had earlier rejected the defendant's bail application due to procedural errors. The case has been adjourned to June 15, 2026, for trial.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.