Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Katsina State Police Command has dismantled a seven-man kidnapping syndicate allegedly responsible for the abduction of an eight-year-old boy in Katsina metropolis, recovering part of the ransom money paid by the victim’s family. The operation was carried out under the leadership of the Commissioner of Police, Ali Umar Fage, with operatives from the newly established Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU) tracking down six members of the gang in a coordinated intelligence-driven operation, authorities said on Saturday, May 23, 2026. The police also identified a seventh suspect, identified simply as Abdul, who remains at large, with a manhunt already launched to apprehend him.
The victim, whose identity has been withheld by the police, was abducted on May 13, 2026, at about 6:00 p.m. while returning home from an Islamic school within the Katsina metropolis. A statement issued by the command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Sadiq Aliyu, explained that the kidnappers contacted the victim’s family the following day and demanded a ransom of ₦50 million for the child’s release. Following negotiations, the family reportedly paid ₦17 million before the boy was freed. Upon receiving the report of the abduction, operatives of the VCRU immediately launched an investigation and tracked down six members of the gang on Friday, May 22.
Police identified the suspects as Nura Aliyu, 39, who was described as the mastermind and a neighbour to the victim’s family; Abubakar Aminu, 37; Ibrahim Muhammad, 51; Iliyasu Sani, 51; Abubakar Muhammad, 27; and Abdullahi Isma’il, 30. During interrogation, the suspects allegedly confessed to the crime and revealed that another accomplice, simply known as Abdul, was still on the run. Items recovered from the suspects included a Peugeot 307 vehicle, a Boxer motorcycle, and ₦7.5 million believed to be part of the ransom proceeds, alongside other exhibits, according to the police statement.
The Katsina State Commissioner of Police, Ali Umar Fage, commended the operatives for what he described as a swift and intelligence‑driven operation, reaffirming the command’s determination to combat kidnapping and other violent crimes across the state. “The operatives of the newly established Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU) swung into action after receiving the report and tracked down six members of the syndicate through intelligence gathering,” the police spokesman said. The commissioner further assured residents of continued efforts to tackle kidnapping and violent crime in the state, adding that the suspects would be charged to court upon completion of investigations.
The successful operation underscores the growing effectiveness of the VCRU, a specialised unit created by the Inspector‑General of Police to respond to violent crimes and kidnapping rings. The unit has been deployed to various states across the country and has recorded several successes in recent weeks. In Katsina, the unit’s ability to track down the kidnappers and recover a significant portion of the ransom within days of the abduction demonstrates the potential of intelligence‑led policing in combating the scourge of kidnapping, which has plagued the state and much of northern Nigeria.
The arrest of the mastermind, Nura Aliyu, who was a neighbour to the victim’s family, is particularly striking. The case highlights a disturbing trend where victims are often betrayed by individuals who are part of their immediate social environment, leveraging their access to information about the family’s routines, financial capacity, and vulnerabilities. The police have not disclosed whether Aliyu acted alone in selecting the target or whether the syndicate had been conducting surveillance on the family prior to the abduction. What is clear, however, is that the victim’s family paid a steep price for the child’s release, and the recovery of ₦7.5 million, while substantial, represents less than half of the total ransom paid.
Kidnapping for ransom has become a pervasive threat in Katsina State and across the North‑West, with criminal gangs often demanding huge sums from already impoverished families. In many cases, families are forced to sell land, livestock, and other assets to raise the required payments, pushing them deeper into poverty. The police have consistently urged families to report abduction cases immediately and to avoid paying ransoms, but the reality on the ground is that many families pay in secret because they believe it is the only way to secure the safe return of their loved ones. In this case, the payment of ₦17 million did secure the child’s release, but it also enriched the criminal network and may have encouraged further attacks.
The police have stated that efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspect, Abdul, and to recover the remaining ransom money. The suspects in custody are expected to face charges of kidnapping, conspiracy, and unlawful possession of firearms, among other offences. The Katsina State Government has also been urged to strengthen community‑based security initiatives, including the establishment of local intelligence networks and the expansion of the state’s Community Watch Corps, to complement the efforts of the police and other security agencies.
The successful dismantling of the seven‑man syndicate is a significant victory for the Katsina State Police Command and a testament to the dedication of its operatives. For the family of the eight‑year‑old boy, the nightmare is over, but the trauma of his abduction and the financial strain of the ransom payment will likely linger for years. For the police, the challenge now is to sustain the momentum and ensure that the success of the VCRU in Katsina is replicated across the state and beyond. As Commissioner Fage reiterated, the command will not relent in its efforts to combat kidnapping and other violent crimes, and the message to criminals is clear: the long arm of the law will eventually catch up with them.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments