Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State has made a startling revelation about the events that preceded his re-election, pointing the finger directly at former Governor and Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Gboyega Oyetola, as the man behind the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission's controversial freezing of the state government's account just days before the August 15 governorship poll. In a candid interview on Channels Television's Sunday Politics, the governor also clarified that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu was not aware of the federal agency's actions, insisting that Oyetola, who is the President's cousin, had been dropping Tinubu's name to orchestrate what Adeleke described as a politically motivated distraction.
The EFCC had frozen a bank account belonging to the Osun State Government in early August as part of an investigation into the alleged mismanagement of approximately N11 billion in Ecology Funds, intervention funds and Federation Account Allocation Committee allocations. The commission said it had identified suspicious fund movements and restricted the account to prevent further transactions while the investigation was ongoing. Adeleke swiftly challenged the action, directing his Attorney-General to institute a suit against the anti-graft agency and seeking N2 billion in exemplary damages for what he described as unlawful interference with public funds. The governor had also raised alarm that the EFCC was planning to freeze all Osun government accounts ahead of the election, an allegation the commission did not publicly deny.
But in his post-election interview, Adeleke delivered a stunning indictment of his predecessor. "All these things is Oyetola because he is the cousin to the President. He is dropping the President's name," the governor declared. "I know that the President didn't know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it." Adeleke insisted that President Tinubu was unaware of most of the actions taken by federal agencies prior to the election, citing the President's numerous foreign responsibilities and preoccupation with national and international engagements. "The President is not aware of most of these matters. He has numerous foreign responsibilities and tasks to attend to," Adeleke remarked during the interview.
The governor further revealed that some of his aides, including his spokesperson, were summoned by the EFCC for questioning but were released after no evidence of wrongdoing was found. "I told my people, go there. We haven't got anything to hide. And when they go there, they ask them questions, and then they will say, 'go on.' Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson – is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant?" Adeleke asked, characterising the invitations as a diversion and an attempt to destabilise his administration ahead of the election.
President Tinubu subsequently intervened, directing the EFCC to return to court to vacate the order freezing the state government's account and cease related actions. The President reportedly expressed embarrassment over the timing of the agency's action, warning that no federal institution should create the impression that it was interfering in the Osun governorship election. Tinubu also personally called Adeleke to inform him of the directive and to assure him that the matter had been resolved.
Adeleke has since ordered the withdrawal of the N2 billion suit filed against the EFCC, stating that the President's intervention had settled the matter. "I'm putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?" Adeleke said. The governor, who was declared winner of the August 15 poll with 511,067 votes against the APC candidate Bola Oyebamiji's 444,815 votes, said he was no longer interested in pursuing legal action against the anti-graft agency.
The allegations against Oyetola have added a new layer of complexity to the political dynamics in Osun State and the broader South-West. Oyetola, who served as Osun governor from 2018 to 2022 and later as Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, has not publicly responded to Adeleke's allegations. However, the governor's comments have reignited debates about the intersection of federal agencies and electoral politics, with Adeleke's camp arguing that the EFCC action was a politically motivated attempt to undermine his re-election bid.
The episode also highlights the delicate relationship between the Osun governor and President Tinubu. Despite Adeleke's public endorsement of Tinubu's re-election bid in 2027, the governor has made it clear that his support does not extend to what he perceives as manipulation by individuals within the President's inner circle. "I know that the President didn't know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it," Adeleke reiterated, drawing a clear distinction between the President and those who, he alleges, sought to use his name for political purposes.
As Adeleke prepares for his second term, the governor has signalled a willingness to move past the pre-election tensions and focus on governance. His decision to withdraw the suit against the EFCC and his repeated praise for Tinubu's intervention suggest a pragmatic approach to his relationship with the presidency. However, his public naming of Oyetola as the architect of the pre-election ordeal ensures that the controversy will not be easily forgotten. For the people of Osun, the episode serves as a stark reminder of the high stakes of electoral politics in Nigeria, where the machinery of federal power can be deployed – or perceived to be deployed – against political opponents.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments