Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The streets around the Ministry of Defence in Abuja resembled a fortress on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, as hundreds of retired military personnel gathered to demand what they described as their "constitutional and legal right" to consequential adjustments of their pensions following salary increases for serving personnel. The protest, which had been building for weeks, saw a heavy deployment of security forces, including personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Immigration Service, and Vehicle Inspection Officers. Two armoured personnel carriers and more than 15 patrol vehicles were stationed at strategic points along the roads leading to the ministry, while armed soldiers patrolled the area, underscoring the high stakes of a confrontation that has exposed the deep fault lines in Nigeria's military welfare system.
The retirees, led by retired Colonel Innocent Azubike, are protesting the alleged failure of the authorities to implement consequential adjustments to their pensions following salary increases approved for serving military personnel. Azubike told journalists that President Bola Tinubu approved a salary increase for military personnel in November 2025, which, according to him, should have resulted in a corresponding adjustment of pensions for retired personnel. "In November last year, the President approved a new pay increase for the military, and it came with a consequential adjustment for retirees and pensioners. It was in the news throughout that November, and the high military authorities repeatedly thanked the President for the gesture. But suddenly, in July and August, it was not implemented and they started changing their stories, as if it should be forgotten," Azubike stated.
The retired colonel also expressed deep concern over another salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September. He alleged that while funds had been computed for the implementation of the latest salary increase, pensioners were excluded from the consequential adjustment. "They have computed the fund requirement for implementing this second announcement of pay increase. In their computation, they excluded pensioners and the consequential adjustment of pensioners' pensions. That is the main issue we are protesting," Azubike declared. The retirees stressed that they were not opposed to the salary increase for serving personnel but insisted that pensioners must benefit from the corresponding adjustment.
The exclusion, they argued, would create significant disparities between military personnel of the same rank and with similar years of service who retired at different times. Azubike illustrated the situation, warning that newly retired personnel could receive substantially higher pensions because they would retire under the new salary structure, while those who retired earlier would continue to receive lower pensions. "The implication is that when they raise the salary of serving personnel, those who will be retiring from the new salary scale, their pension will be far higher than their contemporaries of the same rank and equal number of years of service who had earlier retired," he said. He painted a stark picture: a recently retired captain could be receiving N500,000, while an older captain who retired earlier could be receiving N250,000.
The pensioners argued that the principle of consequential adjustment applies to both general increases, such as the national minimum wage, and special salary adjustments affecting military personnel. In a statement signed by I. A. Nass on August 13, they cited the Nigerian Constitution, the Armed Forces Act and the Military Manual of Financial Administration (MAFA) as the legal basis for their demand. They said it was "not a favour to the retirees but a Constitutional and legal right." The pensioners recalled that a previous campaign by military pensioners had eventually resulted in a presidential approval in November 2017 for the harmonisation of pensions for retirees of equal ranks and years of service. The signatory to the statement said he was personally involved in the protests that preceded that decision, noting that the reform resulted in the pension of a retired Major General or equivalent rank being increased to about ₦1.4 million monthly, with corresponding adjustments for other ranks. "It didn't happen by smooth dialogue. We were called all sorts of muck names during the struggle," he said.
As the pensioners attempted to move towards the front of the ministry, security operatives moved to block them, resulting in a confrontation between serving and retired personnel. Armed police and soldiers prevented the ex-servicemen from converging in front of the ministry, where they had planned to stage their demonstration. More security personnel were mobilised to prevent them from assembling at the location, leading to a tense standoff. A retired Master Warrant Officer, who spoke to Daily Trust on condition of anonymity, expressed frustration, saying that Defence Minister General Christopher Musa is a kind man willing to address their concerns but that those around him were preventing him from doing so. "This protest would go as planned to draw the attention of the world that we also deserve to be treated with fairness, not with impunity," he said.
The protest in Abuja marks the latest chapter in a long-running struggle by military pensioners for fair treatment. In July 2026, the Defence Minister had reportedly moved to stop a planned veterans' protest over delays in implementing the approved Armed Forces salary review and the corresponding pension increase. The Wednesday demonstration, however, appeared to have gone ahead despite those efforts, underscoring the depth of frustration among retired personnel. As the pensioners stood their ground outside the Ministry of Defence, their message was clear: they have fought for their country, and now they are fighting for their dignity. The heavy security presence did not deter them, nor did the years of promises and delays. The protest has once again brought to the fore the systemic neglect of those who dedicated their lives to defending the nation. The question that now hangs over the Ministry of Defence is whether the government will finally listen to its veterans or whether the pensions of those who served will continue to be an afterthought in the calculations of a nation that owes them far more than it has paid.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments