Edo Governor's Aide Apostle Kassy Chukwu Bans Davido From Performing in State Over Osun Election Clash

Published on 21 August 2026 at 12:55

Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo, Apostle Kassy Chukwu, has issued a strongly worded warning to Afrobeats superstar Davido, declaring that the singer has been banned from performing in Edo State for the remainder of the governor's tenure following a heated public dispute over the recently concluded Osun governorship election. Chukwu made the declaration in a video shared by Peniel TV International, Benin City, on Thursday, August 20, 2026, in which he stated unequivocally, "You have been banned from coming to Edo State to perform. We don't want to see you in Edo again." The warning comes amid escalating tensions between the Edo governor and the internationally acclaimed musician, whose uncle, Ademola Adeleke, was re-elected as Osun State governor on August 15, 2026.

The dispute began when Governor Okpebholo, a member of the All Progressives Congress, travelled to Osun State to campaign for the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, and criticised Governor Adeleke's performance, alleging that his dancing skills were distracting him from governance. In response, Davido took to Instagram to mock Okpebholo by sharing what appeared to be the Edo governor's WAEC result, which showed poor academic grades. The singer later defended his actions in an interview with News Central, insisting that he had no reason to apologise to the Edo governor. "I'm not going to apologise. I didn't do anything wrong. I was just telling people of the state the results their governor has," Davido said. He further criticised Okpebholo for leaving Edo to participate in the Osun election and questioned his electoral mandate.

In his video, Chukwu accused Davido of making disrespectful remarks about the governor and his family, claiming that the WAEC result the singer posted was AI-generated. The governor's aide further alleged that some Edo youths were angry over Davido's comments and warned that the singer could face an unfriendly reception if he returned to the state. "Edo youths are angry. They said if they catch you again, nobody should bring Davido to come and perform in any place again in Edo State," Chukwu said. He also claimed that the singer had been barred from performing in the state for the remaining "six years" of Okpebholo's anticipated tenure as governor.

The threat has generated widespread reactions online, with many questioning the authority of a governor's aide to impose such a ban. Israel DMW, Davido's logistics manager, has rejected the position of the governor's aide, distancing the people of Edo State from his remarks. In a post on his Instagram page, Israel DMW insisted that no man on this planet Earth can ban Davido from Edo. The controversy has drawn attention to the growing trend of political figures using their positions to settle personal scores with celebrities, raising concerns about the erosion of democratic freedoms and the abuse of power by public officials.

The warning from Okpebholo's aide comes barely a week after Davido's uncle, Governor Adeleke, secured a second term in office, winning 19 of the state's 30 local government areas with 511,067 votes against Oyebamiji's 444,815 votes. Okpebholo's intervention in the Osun election was seen by many as an overreach, and Davido's decision to publicly mock the Edo governor has only deepened the political rivalry between the two leaders. The singer's refusal to apologise, coupled with Chukwu's threats, has set the stage for a protracted feud that could have significant implications for Davido's career in Edo State, where he has a large fan base and has previously performed to sold-out crowds.

As the video of Chukwu's warning continues to circulate online, the Edo State Government has not officially commented on the matter, leaving the public to wonder whether the governor himself endorses the aide's threats. The incident has also sparked debates about the role of celebrities in politics and the limits of political criticism in Nigeria's increasingly polarised democratic space. For now, Davido remains unbowed, and his supporters have rallied behind him, vowing that no amount of political intimidation will silence the voice of the people. The coming weeks will reveal whether the ban will be enforced or whether it will be dismissed as the reckless outburst of an overzealous aide.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.