Troops Storm Terrorist Camp in Kukawa, Free Four Civilians Who Spent Three Years in Boko Haram Captivity

Published on 21 August 2026 at 16:54

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

Troops of the Nigerian Army have rescued four civilians, including two women and two male minors, who were held captive by Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province terrorists for about three years in a terrorist camp in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State. The rescue operation, conducted at approximately 6:00 a.m. on Friday, August 21, 2026, was carried out by troops of the 123 Special Forces Battalion (Mobile) following credible human intelligence on the movement of suspected terrorist escapees around Kauwa village. The operation was led by the Commanding Officer of the battalion, Lieutenant Colonel E.E. Ukhun.

Security sources told Zagazola Makama that the rescued civilians comprised two women, one male teenager and one male minor. During preliminary debriefing, the victims reportedly told troops that they were abducted by terrorists from Mafa Local Government Area about three years ago and taken to the Dogon Chuku terrorist camp, where they remained until their rescue. The operation is part of sustained search-and-rescue and clearance operations by troops of Operation HADIN KAI and the Multinational Joint Task Force to locate civilians held in terrorist enclaves and dismantle insurgent networks around the Lake Chad Basin.

The rescued persons were provided with food and subsequently profiled by the troops. They are currently receiving medical attention at the 19 Brigade Medical Centre before being moved to the Theatre Headquarters for further interrogation and necessary assistance. Security sources said the rescued civilians would undergo further screening and debriefing to establish additional details about their captivity and the terrorist activities in the area. The latest operation highlights the continued efforts by troops to exploit intelligence on movements around terrorist-held areas and rescue persons who have remained in captivity for prolonged periods.

The rescue comes amid intensified military operations across the North-East, where troops have recorded significant successes against terrorist formations in recent months. In June 2026, troops rescued 47 persons, mostly women and children, held captive by Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgents in Kangarwa village, Kukawa Local Government Area. Earlier in June, the military freed 360 abductees, including men, women and children, from a heavily fortified Boko Haram enclave deep in the Mandara Mountains of southern Borno State. The sustained offensive has forced many terrorists to flee their strongholds, creating opportunities for troops to exploit intelligence and rescue civilians who have been held for years.

The rescue of the four civilians in Kukawa also comes amid growing calls from political and community leaders for intensified efforts to secure the release of abducted schoolchildren and other citizens in Borno State. Former Senate Leader Ali Ndume has urged the military to intensify rescue operations for 78 schoolchildren and other citizens held hostage by terrorists in Borno State, noting that several victims have been in captivity for over 100 days. Families of abducted schoolchildren have appealed to President Bola Tinubu and Governor Babagana Zulum to intensify efforts for their release, as the captivity of dozens of children approaches the 100-day mark. The successful rescue in Kukawa demonstrates that sustained military pressure and intelligence-led operations can yield results, even for victims who have been held for years.

As the rescued civilians begin their journey towards recovery and reintegration, their freedom stands as a testament to the resilience of the human spirit and the unwavering commitment of Nigerian troops to protect the lives of their fellow citizens. The military has reaffirmed its determination to sustain operations against terrorist elements, while calling on communities to continue providing timely and credible information to support ongoing efforts. For the four rescued civilians, the long nightmare of captivity is finally over. For the many others still held in terrorist camps across the North-East, the hope of freedom remains alive.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.