Anambra SSG Chiamaka Nnake Clarifies Role in Fake Federal Agency, Says State Was Deceived

Published on 23 August 2026 at 10:34

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The Anambra State Government has moved swiftly to distance itself and its Secretary to the State Government, Mrs. Chiamaka Nnake, from the unfolding scandal of a fake federal agency that operated from within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation for nearly a decade, with Mrs. Nnake clarifying on Saturday, August 22, 2026, that the state was deceived into participating in what it believed was a legitimate federal initiative. The controversy erupted after the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission uncovered the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, an alleged fraudulent entity that had established a nationwide network of coordinators spanning 20 states, including Anambra, where Mrs. Nnake's name and photograph appeared as the state focal person. The ICPC's investigation revealed that the fake agency had been illegally allocated office space within the OSGF complex and had been operating without presidential authorisation, claiming to have Federal Executive Council approval dating back to the Muhammadu Buhari administration in 2017.

In a statement titled "Clarification on the 'Made-in-Nigeria Agency' and My Role as State Focal Person," Mrs. Nnake explained that the Anambra State Government's involvement began in January 2026 when Governor Chukwuma Soludo received an official letter from the organisation, which presented itself as an office operating under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation. The letter requested the nomination of a State Focal Person, and in response, the Governor nominated Mrs. Nnake in February 2026. "In January 2026, the Governor received a letter from the Made-in-Nigeria Office, said to be under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, requesting the nomination of a State Focal Person. In response, the Governor, in February 2026, nominated me as the State Focal Person for Anambra State," she stated.

Mrs. Nnake disclosed that following the nominations, focal persons from all 36 states were added to a WhatsApp group where they engaged in discussions concerning activities attributed to the office. The fake agency later approached the Anambra State Government with a request to host the South-East edition of its proposed Made-in-Nigeria Fair. The request was approved, and an inaugural meeting was held about two weeks ago, with the person presented as the National Coordinator of the organisation in attendance. Since then, a State Committee has been working on preparations for the fair, which was scheduled to take place from December 2 to December 5, 2026. However, Mrs. Nnake drew a clear line between these official engagements and any other activities allegedly associated with the agency. "Beyond these official interactions and engagements, I have no knowledge of, involvement in, or connection with any other activities, claims, or developments attributed to the said office," she said.

The SSG's clarification came amid growing public scrutiny after the ICPC published the full list of the fake agency's leadership structure, which included zonal directors and 20 state coordinators, with Mrs. Nnake listed as the coordinator for Anambra State. The agency, which had established an elaborate public profile with a website, social media accounts, and a claimed seven-point mandate focused on promoting Nigerian brands, had successfully deceived state governments, including Anambra, into believing it was a legitimate federal initiative. The ICPC's investigation found that the organisation had been operating from within the OSGF premises with the alleged complicity of senior public servants. President Bola Tinubu has since ordered the immediate arrest of the agency's promoter, George Buchi Nwabueze, and suspended three permanent secretaries pending investigation.

The fake agency had made a series of claims to bolster its legitimacy. Its website claimed that the Federal Executive Council had approved a "National Campaign to Sensitize Nigerians on the Patronage of Made-in-Nigeria Products" at a meeting held at the Presidential Villa on February 1, 2017, during the Muhammadu Buhari administration. It also cited a purported "National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission Act, 2025" as legislative backing for its existence, despite no such law having been passed by the National Assembly. The organisation's website listed Nwabueze as its "Executive Director, National Coordinator," alongside a director of national administration, three zonal directors, and 20 state coordinators, including representatives for the United States and China.

The development has raised serious questions about the vetting processes for government agencies and the ease with which fraudulent entities can operate within government premises. Mrs. Nnake lamented that the agency had tricked the state government into hosting its maiden Made-in-Nigeria fair in Anambra. She maintained that her involvement was restricted to the official communications and assignments she received from the state government, and that she had no knowledge of any other activities attributed to the organisation. As the ICPC continues its investigation, the Anambra State Government has expressed regret over being deceived and has cooperated fully with the commission to ensure that those responsible for the fraudulent scheme are brought to justice.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.