Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Pierre Antoine
Armed men who abducted schoolchildren and teachers from multiple communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have opened communication with government representatives and are reportedly making fresh demands for the release of the victims, according to verified security and media reports.
The development was first confirmed in a report published by Saturday PUNCH on Friday, May 23, 2026, which stated that the abductors contacted intermediaries handling the situation but refused to engage directly with families of the victims.
The attacks, which occurred in Esinele, Yamota, and Alawusa communities, involved coordinated raids on schools where pupils and teachers were taken into nearby forested areas. Earlier eyewitness accounts and investigative reports indicate that the assailants operated in groups, storming classrooms during morning sessions and forcibly removing victims before escaping through forest corridors linking parts of Oyo State to adjoining regions.
Security and community sources cited in the reports said the abductors have insisted on communicating only with the Oyo State Government, effectively shutting out families and community representatives from direct negotiations. The decision has been described by insiders as a condition for any discussion regarding the release of the captives.
Although exact demands have not been officially disclosed, officials familiar with the situation said the content of the negotiations is being deliberately withheld to avoid endangering the lives of those in captivity. Authorities have not confirmed whether Governor Seyi Makinde is directly involved or represented in the ongoing communication process.
The abduction has already triggered widespread disruption across affected communities. Schools in parts of Ogbomoso and surrounding areas reportedly shut down or experienced a sharp decline in attendance as fear spread among parents and teachers following the attack. Educators in multiple communities have confirmed that pupils stayed away from classrooms due to security concerns, while some parents have refused to send their children back to school pending stronger protection measures.
Reports from earlier eyewitness accounts show that the attackers struck multiple schools in quick succession, abducting dozens of pupils and teachers before fleeing into forest reserves often used as hideouts by armed groups operating across southwestern Nigeria. Estimates from community and traditional sources placed the number of victims at several dozen, though official figures have varied as investigations continue.
The incident has also revived national concern over the spread of school kidnappings beyond northern Nigeria, where such attacks have been more frequent, into southern states previously considered relatively safer. Security analysts say the pattern reflects increased mobility of armed groups and growing exploitation of forest corridors linking multiple states.
Authorities have confirmed that security operations are ongoing to locate the abductors and secure the release of victims. However, there has been no official confirmation of rescue progress or arrests directly linked to the latest negotiation channel as of May 23, 2026.
Civil society organisations have condemned the attacks and called for urgent reinforcement of security around schools, particularly in rural and forest-adjacent communities. They also urged authorities to improve intelligence-led operations and coordination between federal and state security agencies.
The Federal Government has not issued a detailed public update on the negotiation developments, while Oyo State officials have remained cautious in public communications, citing operational sensitivity.
As the situation develops, families of the abducted remain in distress, with growing uncertainty over the safety and whereabouts of the victims. Security agencies continue to monitor forested routes believed to be used for movement and concealment of abductees.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments