Reported by: Oahimire Omone Precious | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
The Ogun State Police Command has categorically debunked rumours circulating on social media and other platforms alleging that a curfew or restriction of movement has been imposed in the state. In a statement issued on Saturday, May 23, 2026, the command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi B. Babaseyi, said the security situation across Ogun State remains peaceful and under control, with adequate deployment of personnel and operational assets strategically emplaced to maintain law and order and protect lives and property.
The clarification came amid growing anxiety among residents who had encountered unverified reports suggesting that the government had imposed a curfew, likely in response to recent security challenges in neighbouring states or within Ogun itself. The police command urged residents to disregard such misleading information, which it said was capable of causing unnecessary panic. “Residents are therefore advised to disregard unverified reports capable of causing unnecessary panic and continue with their lawful activities without fear,” the statement read.
The police command, under the leadership of Commissioner of Police Bode Ojajuni, reiterated its commitment to public safety and encouraged citizens to report any suspicious movements or security concerns through the provided emergency lines. The contact numbers include the Gateway Shield toll‑free line (0800 000 9111) for general complaints, as well as emergency numbers: 0906 283 7609, 0912 014 1706, 0915 102 7369, and 0708 497 2994.
The debunking comes at a time when several states across Nigeria have faced heightened security threats, including bandit attacks, kidnappings and clashes between herders and farmers. In Oyo State, neighbouring Ogun, a recent school abduction in Oriire Local Government Area left over 40 pupils and teachers missing, with a teacher beheaded. That incident, which occurred on May 15, 2026, triggered widespread fear and panic across the South‑West, leading some communities to take extreme security measures, including the arming of students with cutlasses. Rumours of curfews or imminent attacks have since spread easily, often causing more disruption than the actual threats.
In Ogun State, the police command has been proactive in countering misinformation. Earlier in May, the command had also debunked reports of a mass abduction in the Abanla community and other parts of Ibadan, clarifying that only two staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN) had been kidnapped. The police have since maintained a visible presence across major towns, including Abeokuta, Sagamu, Ijebu‑Ode, and border communities with Benin Republic.
CP Bode Ojajuni assured residents that security agencies remain on high alert and that there is no need for panic or self‑imposed restrictions. “The Command assures residents and members of the public that the security situation across the state remains peaceful and under control,” the statement reiterated. He also warned those spreading false information to desist, as such acts could undermine public confidence in security efforts and lead to legal consequences.
As of the time of this report, no official curfew has been declared in Ogun State, and residents are free to move about and conduct their lawful businesses. The police have encouraged citizens to remain vigilant, but to verify any alarming information through official channels before acting on it. The emergency lines provided are available 24 hours a day for residents to report any suspicious activities or security concerns.
The Ogun State Police Command’s swift response to the curfew rumours reflects a growing recognition among law enforcement agencies of the power of misinformation to destabilise communities. In an era where fake news can spread faster than official communication, the command’s proactive clarification serves as a model for crisis communication. For now, the people of Ogun State can breathe a sigh of relief: no curfew, no restriction, just a call to stay alert and ignore the noise.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments