Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
Troops of the 102 Guard Battalion of the Nigerian Army have arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered cash and equipment worth millions of naira during a routine security operation at an unauthorised mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State, in a major crackdown that has once again exposed the scale of illicit mineral exploitation in the North-Central region. The operation, which took place on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, uncovered a thriving illegal mining operation that had been operating without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company, according to preliminary investigations by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals, to whom the suspects were subsequently handed over.
The suspects were arrested by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine patrol that uncovered unauthorised mining activities in the area. Acting on intelligence, the soldiers swooped on the site and apprehended the 18 individuals who were allegedly engaged in the extraction of solid minerals without lawful authorisation. Following the arrests, the Army transferred the suspects and exhibits recovered from the site to the NSCDC Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, in line with established inter-agency protocols.
The recovery made during the operation was substantial. Items suspected to have been used for the illegal mining operation included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices, and cash amounting to N2,468,750. The cash, which was recovered at the site, is believed to be proceeds from the illicit mining activities. The operation also recovered equipment that would have been used to continue the unauthorised extraction of mineral resources, highlighting the scale of the illegal operations in the area.
Reacting to the development, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, described the Army's action as exemplary, unprecedented and patriotic. Attah said the operation reinforced the military's unwavering commitment to protecting Nigeria's mineral resources and supporting efforts to sanitise the mining sector. "The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria's solid mineral resources," he said.
Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company. The investigators also said the suspects could not provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities. The suspects, who are currently being processed for prosecution, will face charges under the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007, which provides for severe penalties for illegal mining activities.
The collaboration between the Nigerian Army and the NSCDC Mining Marshals comes amid intensified efforts by security and regulatory agencies to tackle illegal mining, which has raised concerns over the loss of government revenue, environmental degradation and the diversion of Nigeria's mineral resources. Illegal mining has become a major challenge in Niger State and other parts of the country, with criminal networks exploiting the sector to generate illicit funds while causing significant damage to the environment. Attah reiterated the determination of the Mining Marshals to ensure that individuals involved in illegal mining activities were brought to justice, adding that the Corps, under the leadership of its Commandant-General, Prof Ahmed Audi, would continue to deploy intelligence-driven enforcement measures against what he described as economic saboteurs operating in the mining sector.
The operation in Izom is part of a broader crackdown on illegal mining across Nigeria. In recent months, security agencies have intensified efforts to curb the menace, which has been linked to funding for criminal networks and environmental degradation. The Nigerian Army has been at the forefront of these efforts, with troops conducting operations to identify and dismantle illegal mining sites across the country. The successful operation in Izom is a testament to the effectiveness of inter-agency collaboration and the commitment of security forces to protecting Nigeria's natural resources.
The NSCDC Mining Marshals have assured stakeholders in the solid minerals industry that they remain resolute in enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act and safeguarding the nation's mineral wealth from illegal exploitation. The prosecution of the 18 suspects will serve as a deterrent to others who may be tempted to engage in illegal mining activities. As one official put it, "The era of impunity for illegal miners is over. Anyone caught exploiting Nigeria's mineral resources without authorisation will face the full force of the law."
For the people of Izom and the wider Gurara LGA, the Army's operation has brought a measure of relief. Illegal mining has not only deprived the government of revenue but has also caused significant environmental damage, including deforestation, soil erosion and water pollution. The crackdown on illegal mining is a welcome development that signals the government's determination to protect the environment and ensure that the country's mineral resources are exploited for the benefit of all Nigerians.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments