Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.
A disturbing video circulating on social media has captured a Fulani man identified as Usman issuing a chilling threat against communities in Niger and Kebbi states, vowing that several towns in the area will be destroyed and that farmers will no longer be allowed to cultivate their land. The threat, which has sparked widespread concern among residents and security analysts, comes amid longstanding tensions between farming and pastoral communities in the region and has raised fears of a potential escalation of violence along the Niger-Kebbi border.
In the video, which was shared on Wednesday by conflict reporter Bakastine, Usman, speaking in Hausa, declared that communities around Kwanji, extending to Babanna in Borgu and Agwara Local Government Areas of Niger State, as well as border communities in Kebbi State, would face destruction. He called on Fulani residents in the affected areas to leave, while stating that they would no longer seek help from the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association or take their grievances to court. Usman also warned that residents would not be allowed to farm in the affected areas, a threat that could have devastating consequences for food security and livelihoods in the region.
The video shows Usman repeatedly invoking God as he issues his warnings. At the beginning of the video, he said: "Indeed, we belong to Allah, and indeed to Him we shall return." He then declared that his message had already been heard across Nigeria and warned Fulani groups against attempting to intervene through Miyetti Allah or the courts. "Between me and God, the whole country has heard; the whole country has heard. All Fulani, and if any group, including Miyetti Allah, ever comes out and says they should take any case to court or to the authorities, may God punish them," he said.
Usman also directed those who see the video to share it with Miyetti Allah officials, government authorities and senior Fulani leaders, including the governors of Niger and Kebbi states. He said: "Anyone seeing this video should send it to Miyetti Allah and the government. I did not make this video for poor people. Send it to big Fulani people and the governor." He specifically mentioned the governors of Niger and Kebbi states, urging that they be informed about his warning. "Between me and God, tell the Governor of Niger State and the Governor of Kebbi State. I swear by Allah, tell the people of Niger State. By Allah, by the One besides whom there is no god, no one will be allowed to farm in this area," he said.
Usman's threat escalated as he declared that several towns in the area would be destroyed and warned residents that they would bear the consequences. "I have said that many places here will be destroyed. All the towns in this area will suffer, I swear. If you want to kill me, come and kill me," he said. "All these places will be destroyed. I am the one who said it. This place will become another ruin. This place will be destroyed, and the people will suffer. I have said it, and I stand by what I said. Whoever wants to kill me should kill me."
The man also expressed anger over the use of the courts to resolve grievances, arguing that court proceedings had failed to deliver justice to Fulani communities. "May Allah deal with this group. If anyone thinks this is just a matter that will be taken to court, since all these years we have been going to court, what justice has the court got for Fulani?" he asked. He nevertheless repeated his warning that the area would eventually be destroyed. "I swear to Allah, this place will eventually be destroyed," he said. "I have said it clearly. Whatever happens to the town, you brought it upon yourselves."
The threats come amid longstanding security and communal tensions in parts of Niger State and communities bordering Kebbi State, where disputes between farming and pastoral communities have frequently escalated into violence. In recent weeks, clashes in the Borgu Emirate have reportedly claimed dozens of lives and displaced hundreds of residents. The Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, Dr Bulus Yohanna, has appealed to the Kambari, Fulani and Bargawa communities in Agwara and Borgu local councils to sheathe their swords and end the cycle of violence. The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Niger State has also urged the Fulani and Bargawa communities to resist attempts by outsiders to create division and destabilise the region, noting that the communities had lived peacefully together for decades before what he described as the infiltration of their communities by outsiders allegedly responsible for recent violence.
Bakastine, the conflict reporter who shared the video, urged Niger and Kebbi states, as well as security agencies, to take the threat seriously, investigate the video and act quickly to prevent it from escalating into violence. The affected areas have experienced security challenges and disputes involving farming and pastoral communities, heightening concerns over the potential for the reported threats to escalate. As the video continues to circulate, residents and community leaders are expected to remain vigilant while avoiding actions that could further inflame tensions. Any confirmed threat of violence should be handled through lawful security and judicial channels to protect lives and property.
The Niger and Kebbi state governments have been urged to take the video seriously and work with security agencies to establish the identity of the speaker, verify the authenticity and context of the remarks, and determine whether there is any immediate threat to communities in the area. Security agencies are also expected to assess the situation and take preventive measures where necessary to protect residents and prevent the alleged threats from developing into actual attacks. The development underscores the need for authorities to respond quickly to threatening messages capable of worsening existing tensions, particularly in communities along state and regional borders. For the residents of Kwanji, Babanna, Borgu, Agwara and the Niger-Kebbi border areas, the words of Usman hang in the air like a storm cloud, and the question on everyone's lips is whether the authorities will act before the storm breaks.
📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews
Add comment
Comments