Edo Govt Denies Banning Davido, Says Afrobeats Star Free to Visit and Perform in State

Published on 22 August 2026 at 08:06

Reported by: Ijeoma G | Edited by: Oravbiere Osayomore Promise.

The Edo State Government has issued a firm and unambiguous statement declaring that Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, is free to visit and perform in the state, effectively dismissing and disowning an earlier pronouncement by a governor's aide that the singer had been banned for the remainder of Governor Monday Okpebholo's tenure. The clarification, contained in a statement on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, described the purported ban as the handiwork of an "impostor" and a "fraud," and said the government completely dissociated itself from what it called spiteful efforts to create hostility between the administration and the music star. The commissioner said the state remains home to everyone, irrespective of political affiliation, beliefs, persuasion or association, and stressed that Davido would be warmly received should he decide to visit the state.

The controversy erupted after the Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Governor Okpebholo, Apostle Kassy Chukwu, declared in a viral video on Thursday, August 20, 2026, that Davido had been banned from performing in Edo State for the remainder of the governor's administration. Chukwu's remarks followed a heated public exchange between the singer and Governor Okpebholo over the just-concluded August 15 governorship election in Osun State, where Davido's uncle, Governor Ademola Adeleke, secured a second term in office. Okpebholo, a member of the All Progressives Congress, had travelled to Osun to campaign for the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, and criticised Governor Adeleke's performance, alleging that his dancing skills were distracting him from governance. In response, Davido took to Instagram to mock Okpebholo by sharing what appeared to be the Edo governor's WAEC result, which showed poor academic grades. The singer later defended his actions in an interview, insisting that he had no reason to apologise to the Edo governor.

Chukwu, in his video, accused Davido of making disrespectful remarks about the governor and his family, claiming that the WAEC result the singer posted was AI-generated. The governor's aide further alleged that some Edo youths were angry over Davido's comments and warned that the singer could face an unfriendly reception if he returned to the state. "You have been banned from coming to Edo State to perform. We don't want to see you in Edo again," Chukwu declared, adding that "Edo youths are angry. They said if they catch you again, nobody should bring Davido to come and perform in any place again in Edo State". The threat generated widespread reactions online, with many questioning the authority of a governor's aide to impose such a ban, and Israel DMW, Davido's logistics manager, rejecting the position of the governor's aide and distancing the people of Edo State from his remarks.

However, in a dramatic reversal that has exposed the internal fissures within the Okpebholo administration, the Edo State Government has now distanced itself from Chukwu's pronouncement, effectively rendering the ban null and void. In his statement, Afegbua said, "Our enemies are at it again; we did not ban Davido from entering Edo State. The proclaimer of that ban is an enemy of Edo State; an impostor, and a fraud". He added, "The Government of Edo State hereby dissociates itself from such spiteful behaviour, and wishes to state further that Edo State is home to all, regardless of their belief, political persuasion, affinity and/or legal affiliation". The commissioner further stated that should Davido intend to perform in Edo State in the future, the state would be willing to collaborate and partner with him.

Afegbua also emphasised Davido's connection to the state, noting that the singer's mother hails from Edo State, making him one of the state's illustrious sons. "Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo State; he's exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him. Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him. Whatever transpired in Osun State in the wake of last week's election was purely politics and nothing more. There was nothing personal in the conversations that deepened the campaigns," the commissioner said. He described Davido as one of Nigeria's global ambassadors, praising his contributions to the country's image and his ability to build bridges across social and political divides, while expressing optimism that the singer would eventually receive a Grammy Award.

The government's decision to publicly disown its own aide's statement raises questions about the coordination and discipline within the Okpebholo administration, and whether Chukwu acted on his own or with some level of official endorsement that has now been withdrawn. The move also reflects the political realities of Edo State, where the government cannot afford to alienate a globally recognised artiste with strong ties to the state, particularly given the economic benefits that Davido's performances and associations could bring. The commissioner's reference to "enemies of the state" suggests that the government may view Chukwu's action as an attempt to embarrass the administration or create unnecessary controversy.

The dispute between Davido and Okpebholo has its roots in the broader political contest between the APC and the Accord Party in Osun State, where Governor Adeleke's victory has further entrenched the political rivalry between the two camps. Davido's decision to publicly mock Okpebholo was seen by many as an overreach, but the singer's refusal to apologise and his defence of his actions have only deepened the feud. The Edo State Government's decision to welcome Davido, despite the earlier ban, suggests that the administration is prioritising economic and social considerations over political grievances, and that the governor is willing to put aside personal feelings for the sake of the state's image and development.

As Davido continues his global music career, the Edo State Government's invitation to collaborate and partner with him could open new opportunities for the state to leverage the singer's influence for tourism, investment and cultural promotion. The government's statement that "Edo is home to all, and Davido is welcome" sends a powerful message of inclusivity and reconciliation, and signals that the state is open for business, regardless of political differences. For now, the ban is officially lifted, and Davido is free to visit Edo State, perform, and even be feted by the government, should he choose to accept the invitation. The question remains whether the singer will take up the offer or whether the earlier controversy has left a sour taste that will keep him away.

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com
✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.