Kaduna Community Begs Government to Rescue 37 Worshippers Abducted During Easter Sunday Church Attacks

Published on 23 May 2026 at 12:32

Reported by: Ijeoma .G | Edited by: Henry Owen

Residents of Ariko community in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State have appealed to the federal and Kaduna State governments to urgently intervene and secure the release of 37 worshippers abducted during coordinated attacks on churches in the area on Easter Sunday.

Community leaders and residents said the victims have remained in captivity for more than 45 days, while the abductors continue to demand N1 billion and 35 motorcycles before releasing them. 

The worshippers were kidnapped on Sunday, April 5, 2026, when armed bandits invaded churches in Ariko community during Easter services. Reports said the attackers stormed St. Augustine Catholic Church, Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), and Baptist Church in the area, killing several worshippers before abducting dozens of residents, including women, children, and elderly persons. 

According to LEADERSHIP and Daily Post reports published on Friday, May 23, 2026, residents said the kidnappers had remained in constant communication with the community and had not reduced their demands despite prolonged negotiations. 

President of the Kuturmi Development Association, Dr. Joseph David Ariko, said the rural community lacked the financial capacity to raise such an amount and could only rely on government intervention and security operations to rescue the abducted victims. 

“We want the government to go and rescue our people, that is all. We cannot afford it,” Ariko was quoted as saying in reports published this week. 

Residents said the abductors recently expanded their demands to include 35 motorcycles in addition to the N1 billion ransom. According to FIJ, the kidnappers specifically requested 20 motorcycles commonly referred to locally as “Boko Haram” bikes and 15 Bajaj motorcycles. 

Danjuma Doka, identified as the son of one of the abducted elderly victims, told FIJ that some of those still in captivity include blind elderly men abducted from St. Augustine Catholic Church and ECWA Church during the Easter attack. 

Earlier reports indicated that confusion followed the incident after claims emerged that some abducted worshippers had been rescued by troops. However, community leaders later rejected the reports and insisted that dozens of victims were still being held by the kidnappers. 

A video reportedly released by the abductors and circulated online showed some of the kidnapped victims in captivity while armed men behind the camera threatened violence if the ransom was not paid. 

Concerned Ariko Youths, in a statement signed by Chairman Linus Audu and Secretary Kefas Likita, described the ransom demand as impossible for the agrarian community to meet. The group said many residents had already suffered repeated attacks, displacement, and loss of livelihoods due to insecurity in the area. 

Kachia Local Government Area and other parts of Southern Kaduna have witnessed repeated attacks linked to armed bandit groups and kidnappers over the years. Communities across the area have frequently reported killings, abductions, and displacement caused by insecurity affecting rural settlements. 

As of Saturday, May 23, 2026, security agencies had not announced any successful rescue operation involving the remaining 37 abducted worshippers, while families of the victims continued appealing for urgent government intervention. 

📩 Stone Reporters News | 🌍 stonereportersnews.com

✉️ info@stonereportersnews.com | 📘 Facebook: Stone Reporters News | 🐦 X (Twitter): @StoneReportNew | 📸 Instagram: @stonereportersnews

Add comment

Comments

There are no comments yet.